
I suppose I could bore you with historical details of how this holiday came to be, but what if I just refer you to an article here instead. That way you can read it if you want to, or skip to the gardening stuff.
Mulch in the Side Garden

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
For gardeners, this weekend has often been one where a significant amount of work is done in the garden. Here at our house, for example, we tend to use it as the day to put down mulch.
One thing Victoria Day has NOT usually been is the day the first poppy blooms. That's more often sometime around the beginning of June -- but not this year. This year, incredibly, the first poppy bloom opened on May 24.
First Poppy

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
As usual, once the poppies start blooming, tulip time is over, and while my husband was laying down mulch, I was clipping tulip stems, leaving the foliage in place until it starts to turn yellowish-brown and die off.
The End of Tulip Time

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Besides poppies, other plants that are just starting to bloom right now are some of the many hardy geraniums I have in place throughout the garden, and the heuchera that have pretty little flowers.
Hollywood Heuchera

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Heuchera 'Gypsy Dancer' and 'Mocha'

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Note that, according to me, there are three types of heuchera: those that have pretty foliage and ugly flower scapes that must be cut off to keep the plant attractive (examples include 'Green Spice', 'Beauty Color', and 'Dale's Strain'), those that have pretty flowers with unexceptional foliage (ordinary Coral Bells), and those that have gorgeous foliage with pretty flowers ('Hollywood' and 'Gypsy Dancer' are my two favourites, of the ones that I own).
But moving on to another type of plant of which there are many varieties in my garden: cranesbill, or hardy geranium.
'Ankums Pride' Hardy Geranium

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
'Ankums Pride', which is a very aggressive variety I got when someone was giving it away, has bright pretty flowers of a good size. I always have to trim it back every year. 'Samobor' has tiny flowers on tall stems, but is mostly remarkable for its variegated foliage in green and black.
Geranium phaeum 'Samobor'

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
This is just a generic white hardy geranium. I don't think it even has a special name.
White Hardy Geranium

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Oh, and I finally planted the garage urns today, thus making "permanent" my decision to keep the baskets I bought at Home Depot for hanging at the front door.
Hanging Basket

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Garage Urns

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Oh, and finally one last thing. I thought I had somehow discarded my yellow irises, since they didn't bloom last year. But they are still there, right where I planted them together with some purple ones. The purple are 'Cherry Garden' and the yellow might be called 'Flemming Gold'. (I have an ancient label in my gardening binder from about the right time, so I'm just guessing that's the one.)
Irises, Purple and Yellow Together

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And with that, I will leave you.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
1 comment:
Beautiful blooms.
I searched for years to find the name of the Geranium phaeum 'Samobor'!
I've not seen anyone else growing it, I came upon mine by chance. It is such a cute little flower.
Post a Comment