Friday, May 28, 2010

What's Happening in the Garden These Days?

Well, I've been taking photos of new developments in the garden, but with all the actual work I've been doing in the garden, I haven't had time to sit down and blog everything.

Final Front Porch Container

Spike!
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I made up my final container, with a spike (against my better judgment) and some purple petunias. The purple petunias came with some yellow flowers (similar to Cosmos, but I don't think that's what they are) that had to be transplanted to one of my other containers.

Wedgie™ Tool

Wedgie (TM) Tool
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This is where my friend Cookie Wherry's great invention came in handy. Cookie Wherry invented the Wedgie™ tool, for planting containers -- specifically for pushing aside and making space in containers to stuff more plants in. Look at this baby in action. You can see how the bright yellow colour is perfect. You cannot lose it.

Wedgie™ Tool in Use

Wedgie (TM) in Use
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

So what other developments are there to blog about. The incredible morning light in the garden. That's always good for a gratuitous photo.

Incredible Morning Light in the Garden

My Favourite View in the Morning Light
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Of course, since I always take these photos before I put my three or four hours of work in, the garden is never at its best. For example, after taking this photo I weeded and swept the flagstone path, trimmed the errant heuchera scapes, pruned the juniper (at bottom left) and generally moved stuff around. Trust me, it all looks even better than this now.

Here is a slightly different view of that part of the garden, much later in the morning.

Looking Up in the Back Garden

Looking Up, Wide View
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The weigela bush on the left is in full bloom with beautiful pink flowers.

Weigela Flowers

Weigela
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Oh, and while I'm still talking about the back garden, here is something else going on. Remember these:

Columbine Volunteers

Raise Your Hand, Volunteers
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Well, as you can see they are a pretty pink colour, with some darkish foliage. This is the original version that I bought. The parent of these columbines is planted farther up the slope. The parent plant has "gone native". It has lost its unique features and turned into an ordinary red columbine. That's why I have to keep the plants that are growing in the patio. They are still the interesting variety that I originally bought.

Parent Plant of Columbine Volunteers

Native Columbine
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Moving on, the Harlequin Honeysuckle has started blooming.

Harlequin Honeysuckle

Harlequin Honeysuckle Blooming
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

If you look carefully, you can see the little green mites that infest it. Sorry organic gardeners, but I will be using a pesticide spray on this plant, as I do (sadly) every year.

Other new blooms include a 'Turkenlouis' poppy, which is bright crimson red, unlike the 'Allegro' poppy which bloomed earlier. (That one starts out orange, and the edges turn white after a day or so.) Anyway, Turkenlouis is beautiful. Photos cannot do the colour justice, because the red is just too saturated for my camera to handle.

'Turkenlouis' Poppy

My True Red Poppy, 'Turkenlouis'
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Another new bloom is Geranium praetense 'Mrs. Kendall Clark', a pretty cranesbill with a light purple flower.

Geranium praetense 'Mrs. Kendall Clark'

Geranium praetense 'Mrs. Kendall Clark' with Pollinator
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This is an extreme closeup of the flower, which is actually about the size of a quarter in real life.

And speaking of real life, tonight I went to a local charity event with a big plant sale. People just divided the perennials in their gardens and put the divisions in pots for sale. I got two new daylilies for all of eight dollars. One was labelled 'Crimson Pirate' and the other was just identified as having a burgundy flower.

I love surprises. And with that, I will leave you.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Rosemary Waigh said...

The yellow cosmos-like flower that came with the purple petunias might be bidens.