Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Good Day for Gardening

It was a gorgeous morning, so I spent it in the garden. I love the morning light.

Morning Light in the Garden

Looking East in the Morning Sun
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

As you can see, there is plenty of need for weeding, pruning, and trimming throughout the garden, and it looks much better now after I spent three and half hours going through it all. I was pretty tired, and the light had changed, so I did not get an "after" shot of all the work I did.

But here are some pretty shots from elsewhere in the garden.

Iris and Hosta

Iris and Hosta
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Heuchera Foliage

Heuchera Foliage
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Heuchera Scapes (Now All Trimmed Away)

Heuchera
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Yes, I did a lot of trimming, along with pruning and dreaded weeding. The one thing about leaving a patio neglected for two rainy summers is that you get a lot of surprises growing between the cracks. Some are good surprises. Like these columbine volunteers.

Columbine Volunteers

Raise Your Hand, Volunteers
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I will admit that they are too pretty to remove, so I have left them growing amid the rocks and stones. Unfortunately, most of what grows in the patio isn't pretty. It looks like this (only green and alive).

Dead Patio Weed

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Now, there's a reason why that weed is dead, and if you are a die-hard organic gardener, stop reading right now. As a gardener, I do not object to using unnatural chemicals on plants, whether it be "Weed Out" to make them die, or "Miracle-Gro" to make them thrive. The dead patio weed comes to me courtesy of Weed Out. I do not have a problem with that.

What I did do, now that my patio weed-killing is moving closer to plants I want to keep, is create a wind block for my spray bottle. Yeah, I don't know what it's called, but most of you will recognize the concept. You start out with an empty pop bottle, like this.

Empty Pop Bottle

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Then you remove the label and cut the bottom off, like this.

Cutting the Bottom Off

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Then you have a little cloche-like doohickey that you can place over the weed you want to spray, and then point the nozzle of your weedkiller bottle through the bottle opening at the top, and spray without worrying that any droplets will escape and land where you don't want them to, like on plants you don't want to die.

Chief among plants I don't want to die, and also the most exciting thing to happen in my garden so far this year is... the very first daylily bloom of 2010! Little Red Spring Song came through a month and a half earlier than last year, and here is its first bloom.

Little Red Spring Song, First Daylily Bloom This Year

First Daylily Bloom of 2010
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And with that, I leave you.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Cyndi B. said...

LOVE the pop bottle idea! I'm going to try that this weekend.

Your hostas and irises are at about the same stage mine are. Made me feel better as I think they're behind. I'm so anxious for full bloom, I forget it's only May!