C-c-c-c-c-cold.
Across the northland it would ring
C-c-c-c-c-cold.
No matter what he tried to say
C-c-c-c-cuh night or day.
His words kept coming out that way.
C-c-c-c-c-cold.
I distinctly recall my grade one teacher singing that song with us. It's not a very good song, even for six year olds, but it really is appropriate to this weather we've been having.
It's been a very strange May. Unlike April, which was full of T-shirt-and-shorts weather, we're practically back to winter jackets. A few days ago there was snow in the air, and at night we will sometimes get frost. Luckily I don't have anything growing that's sensitive to cold. In fact, with the amount of rain we've been having, and without a lot of sun to suck up the moisture the plants have mostly been thriving.
The tulips are still doing well, although some of them are definitely on their last days. And I still have one clump of daffodils still worth looking at. They are three to a stem, small double daffodils and they are located at the front of the garden near the sidewalk, under the mulberry tree.
Daffodils

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The mulberry tree has had a good pruning, but it still has lots of starter berries (there's probably a technical term for that, but I don't know it offhand) getting ready to grow and ripen in the summer.
Mulberry Foliage and Berries

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
As I said, some of the tulips are ready to leave, although the majority of the show is still quite glorious. The orange tulip growing near the daffodils is just about gone; its ragged remaining petals remind me of a baseball glove.
Orange Tulip Barely There

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The show is almost over in the side garden.
Red Tulips, Faded to Pink and Ready to Depart

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I found an old label in the shed that tells me my "mauve" tulips are actually Purple Prince. I must have planted them more recently than some of the others. Here is one that is doing nicely.
'Purple Prince' Tulip

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I said my 'Grape Orbit' dwarf irises were ready to bloom, and now they are starting to put on a show. These ones have been slow to grow and spread, but finally I am starting to see something that looks like a little clump, instead of just a few leaves.
'Grape Orbit' Dwarf Iris

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Speaking of clumps, one thing this weather has been good for is groundcover. I've been trimming back some of the more aggressive plants, like 'Ankums Pride' hardy geranium and some of the moss phlox I have planted. Of course, the periwinkle is a lost cause, as it takes over certain areas of the front and back gardens. It needs two people with a couple of hours and some sharp spades. But I digress...
Here is some pretty moss phlox from my largest clump (the two separate plantings have run together). I especially like the candy-striped variety.
Two Different Types of Moss Phlox

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Oh, and the heuchera are just getting to their most beautiful right now, especially in the cool weather, which seems to suit them. I have a lot of different varieties throughout the garden, but here is 'Marmalade' in its prime.
'Marmalade' Heuchera

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The most exciting news in my garden -- me being the daylily enthusiast that I am -- is that 'Little Red Spring Song' (a daylily known for its early blooms) has scapes, with plenty of buds, and looks like it might bloom in May this year, instead of the end of June as it did last year. Even at the end of June it was the first daylily in my garden to bloom, since mid-July to mid-August is the main daylily season around here, based on our climate and the varieties I have chosen.
Daylily 'Little Red Spring Song'

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The day before yesterday it rained, and yesterday our neighbourhood had the water shut off all day, and consequently I haven't yet planted my containers. I did pick up another basket, and a flat of pelargonium geraniums in the very cold (and empty) garden centre at my local Wal-Mart. I really hope to have pictures of my planted containers very soon. Oh, and I still have to do something about composting. I keep forgetting. Well anyway, I will leave you today with a (rare) long view of the back garden in front of the Camperdown elm tree, showing where my two buddha statues are currently perched.
Two Buddhas in the Backyard

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
3 comments:
Beautiful plants, you've captured them so well. Love the mulberry.
Your flowers look terrific. I am very envious of the tulips. Tried them for the first time this year and only got leaves but no flowers Now they too are wilting. I'll have to try again next year.
Thannks great blog
Post a Comment