Saturday, May 22, 2010

Busy Couple of Days for the Garden

The weather has been nice for the past few days, and my husband took a couple of vacation days to extend the long Victoria Day weekend. So we have picked up a few things for the garden, made our annual trip to Canning Perennials, and just generally done what we can with the time we had.

One thing we got was a new rainbarrel. Previously we have used the ones that the City was selling at a subsidized price. But we had a few bad experiences and so we got rid of them. Now there are many choices of rainbarrel design available in local "home and garden" type stores, so we picked up one by Fiskars.

New Rainbarrel, by Fiskars

New Rainbarrel
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Unfortunately, the diverter kit they include works with a couple of standard sizes of downspout, but our downspouts are another standard size, not covered by this diverter. Well, my husband figured out a solution that involved buying a section of downspout in one of the covered sizes and attaching it to ours. (The join is not even unsightly. The sizes were actually very close -- just not close enough for the diverter to work.) Anyway, here is what the installed rainbarrel looks like.

Installed Rainbarrel

New Rainbarrel Installed
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Now we just have to wait for enough rain to fill it up, so we can test how easy it is to use. I can say, though, that this version does look a lot nicer than the old rainbarrels.

Looking Towards Shed Looking Towards Street
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Well, that was my husband's contribution. This is mine. New containers. I had to replace my old black square container that cracked and broke when I pulled it by the lip. So I found this lipless model.

New Black Container

Black Square Container
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The price was right for this container, but I am not sure I like the look of the thin walls right up next to the plants. A container with a lip provides something more substantial to set off the flowers. Here is what I mean by a container with a lip. This is an old picture of the container I am replacing.

Perennial Container
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Anyway, I think it looks fine added to the collection of containers at the front of the house. Just, if I'd had any choice, I would have preferred the other style.

Containers 21/05/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The other thing we have done so far is make our annual visit to Canning Perennials, one of the great places around here to shop for rare and desirable plants, like the ones you see in magazines. Unfortunately, when we got there we saw a "For Sale" sign, so this might end up being our last annual visit.

Canning Perennials Purchases

A Trip To Canning Perennials
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I bought three new daylilies, two new iris (trying for another shot at Immortality -- I've had it before, but it doesn't bloom any more), a fern-leaf bleeding heart, a new hardy geranium with tiny bronze leaves and white flowers, some woolly thyme to replace bare patches in the back, and that's about it.

Another Shot at Immortality

Another Shot at Immortality
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

New Cranesbill (Hardy Geranium)

New Cranesbill
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This photo shows patches of woolly thyme on the slope below the red maple. This is where we will plant some more and hopefully have fewer bare patches by the summer.

This Is Why the Neighbours Call It "The Forest"
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

You can see from this photo why our neighbours refer to our backyard as "The Forest".

And with that, I will leave you.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Gwelf said...

A belated thank you for the tip about Canning Perennials, which I read about on your blog last year. I ordered a bunch of lovely clematis from them including a variegated climbing one. Now I'm totally disappointed that they might be for sale?? P.S. Love your blog! I'm near you as my handle implies. Love to read about your adventures in our neck of the woods.

Irrigation Systems said...

Good luck with the rain barrel, and well done on finding a creative solution to installing it. There are too many people who give up if putting in a rain barrel looks a bit difficult. Pity, because it is a such a great irrigation method. I full agree with you are the thin-walled versus thick-lipped pot. With all the trouble that you go to to get the flowers to grow they deserve to be presented in the best possible way.