Most of My Daylily Seedlings

Daylily Transplants in a Large Glass Vase

I did some more planting on the weekend, sunflowers and petunias. I decided on all different colours of sunflowers, including pink and red. And some of the petunias are special double hybrid ones, which were expensive (for seeds), so I hope they sprout.
Sunflower and Petunia Seeds

The sunflowers are just starting to sprout. It's no wonder I'm so frustrated with the daylilies taking so long when there are other seeds that sprout this quickly. My guess with the sunflower seeds would be that, since they are so delicious for animals and birds to eat, they would have to sprout fast or else there would never be any plants for the next year. (I should know this. I am always having to clear the space under the bird feeder of sunflower sprouts in the summer.)
Sunflower Sprout (The Little White Dot)

My tomato seedlings are getting their second (and in some cases third) set of leaves, and they actually smell like tomato plants.

Our new cat is fascinated by the "greenhouse" area I have set up, and there have been a few near-accidents when she is around. But she is a good cat, and we love her. How could we not? She is very beautiful.

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
9 comments:
Looking good my friend!!!
Our cats have gotten to one of the daylily plants, taking some of the tallest leaf for lunch.
The tomatoe plants here are getting their second leaves but no aroma yet.
I'm not sure we have enough space for sunflowers but the kids always loved them at the old house.
My tomatoes have second leaves also - can't smell anything due to head congestion!
Isn't spring the greatest...the anticipation of green things to come!
i love the smell of tomato plants. i'm not doing any seeds this year, actually, not sure what i'm doing in the garden this year. i need something that likes to grow in mud and be trampled on.
Your seedlings are getting along nicely I see. And what a lovely cat you've got, very pretty!
Seedlings and cats do not always mix very well, our kitties tend to be a bit curious. :-)
Found your blog via Garden Voices.
Pity about the damage the rabbits did in your garden. Like the stepladder with all the nice things on it!
I love this time of year sowing seeds and waiting for them excitedly to germinate.It looks like cloth you are growing them in.The cat is sooo pretty too.
Hi Snappy, I am using peat pellets, the kind that look like checkers (draughts pieces) until you water them and they expand into little cloth bags of dirt. It's nice and clean compared to making my own individual pots of soil. It's also easy. And I am all about making things easy. ;-)
Oh so myn seedlings! And congrats on your new beautiful cat!
Hi Karen. I think I'm going to visit this site more often this spring/summer.
We're taking the easy approach on the garden this year. All we've planted are marigold seeds, a few stock and some morning glory, everything else is free to do as it pleases. Just out of curiousity I planted all the stella d'oro seeds I collected last summer directly into the flowerbeds a few weeks ago. Everyday I walk by to see if there is any sign of life, sadly nothing yet. Maybe I should have been more on the ball and planted them in containers earlier this year.
I'm happy to see your happy daylily seedlings, has anything happened with the pink texas yucca seeds I sent you? I'm curious to see what they've done.
What a sweet kitty. Our two love to sneak down at night and nibble at the seedlings. They have their own cat grass but the forbidden things always taste the best :)
Post a Comment