Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thaw

The deep, deep piles of snow behind which the garden has been hiding are thawing, turning to water, and trickling away.

Well, trickle is a misnomer. Miniature waterways course from high ground to low, seeking any open drain. The rivers and ponds will soon be rising to dangerous levels.

Yesterday, if you had sat relaxing on the sunny side of a south-facing wall, you could have worn a T-shirt and shorts and worked on your tan. I parked in such a place and the temperature inside the car reached 18 degrees C (somewhere in the high 60s F). I guess that doesn’t sound like much, but it is when you still have knee-high snow on your back deck.

But the piles of snow are receding.

They have pulled back from the edges of the front garden, revealing, among other things, a still-blooming purple pansy left over from January. It must have been protected by the snow. Winter started late this year, and I suppose it will be ending late too. Last year on March 12 there was no snow left anywhere except deep in the forest. Now we are at March 14 and the retreat is barely beginning.

I am already thinking of hyacinths and daffodils. I don’t even like hyacinths—they grow outdoors in the garden and still their scent is far too strong for me—but they are colourful early bloomers and I need something to look forward to right now. The latest batch of indoor tulips is well past its prime and I am bored of captive red gerbera.

10 comments:

MariaJ said...

It sounds pretty much like here. We had +10 today, sun is shining and the fields are without snow. The snow is melting all the time and I can already see a part of my green lawn. Spring is earlier here than usually. I dont mind that....though still have to wait my daffodills or tulips blooming. It depends on the weather. It can be April or May! What was your coldest day this winter? We had one week -25C.

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, I think we had one or two days that approached -20C. It's hard to tell because we take the wind into account too ("wind chill factor") and that can make it seem so much colder. For example, the weather forecaster might say, "It's -13 but with the wind chill it will feel like -20."

We didn't have a lot of very cold days this year, but we did get a lot of snow! Still, it's good for the garden.

Anonymous said...

we've had a huge meltdown here as well, my backyard is like a huge muddy swamp. i'll have to check and see whether any of my tulips are coming up in my front garden or whether the squirrels helped themselves while i wasn't watching.

Alison said...

I'll have to post a picture of my backyard swamp! It's appaling, and a real pain to wade through when trying to get to the bikes in the shed!

Anita said...

Hi Karen!

Welcome back to blogging and to gardening! I haven't been here for a while, it's good to see you're back!

Good luck with all your seeds - I am already looking forward to admiring all the flowers and veggies soon!

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland,
Anita

Linda said...

The snow had all gone a few days ago and then a winter storm hit our area last night and now we are a blanket of snow. (Quinte West, Ontario)

Ki said...

I don't care for the scent of hyacinths either but we were left with about a dozen plants from the previous owner. Stink but nice if we don't get a frost when it's blooming. Daffodils are much tougher.

Lis vom Lindenhof said...

Schön dass es endlich Frühling wird, auch wenn es im Moment bei uns wieder kälter ist und schneit
LG Lis

Green thumb said...

I can only imagine your snow getting converted to waterways. Sounds pretty exciting to me as it doesn't snow here in India except high up in the hills.
Looking forward to the developments in your garden and the daffodils too!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Wahey snow is melting! :D