Sunday, August 07, 2005

Planters or Containers?

Do you call them planters, or containers? I'm not sure. In my quest to include entries that have nothing to do with daylilies, I am going to talk about containers today.

Having a deck, a patio, and a front porch, I do a lot of container planting. This is potentially a big topic for me so I will stick with succulents for now.

Concrete trough planter
Two summers ago I got some concrete troughs for the patio. I filled them with steppables (thyme, irish moss, ajuga) and succulents (hens & chicks, stonecrop). They lasted nicely through one winter and went on display for one more summer. Unfortunately, the second winter was unkind and they simply crumbled when spring came.

Concrete trough planter
Now I am using shallow bowls for the same purpose. These are more portable than concrete troughs, so I will put them in a protected place for the winter. In addition to the bowls, I also have a planter that is designed to look like a carved rock. It is filled with creeping thyme and curly ivy.

Shallow bowl planters
I also have a blue bowl planter that adds some colour to the rocks under the maple. It contains some dragon's blood stonecrop (love the name!) and a reddish hens & chicks. Finding the best picture of it will be hard, because I have lots of them.

Blue bowl planterBlue planter under maple

No comments: