I have a new nickname after shopping for plants this weekend. My husband refers to me affectionately as "Foliage Freak".We had to get some daylilies to be ready for the side garden, so we went to Terra Nurseries. It's a forty-minute drive, so we were surprised to meet my parents there. They were heading on to a place nearby called Paterno's (a.k.a. Gardenland). The prices at Paterno's are high, but their plants are healthy and, of course, "to-die-for".
Here is a list of plants I selected at Paterno's. They are pictured above, on our patio waiting to be planted:
1 'Clifford Moore' campion (soft, silky, variegated leaves -- drool)
4 different heucheras: Beauty Colour, Velvet night, Hollywood, and Snow Angel
2 "Harlequin" honeysuckle (variegated leaves -- drool)
4 elfin thyme (tiny little leaves with a crisp texture)
2 "Chocolate Chip" ajuga (such big healthy plants they had)
3 different stonecrop

Paterno's didn't have any purple daylilies for the base of the deck, so we returned to Terra. Although I had been thinking Bela Lugosi (wonderful, wonderful name; reminds me of the Bauhaus song "Bela Lugosi's Dead"), when we looked at Terra they had a plentiful supply of Cricket Dance for a ridiculously low end-of-season price. They had only one Wayside King Royale (which I had to have!), and we also picked up a Chicago Atlas and Royal Mountie for good measure, even though I normally avoid red daylilies.
Unfortunately, the Cricket Dance are not healthy plants. I have to quarantine them because they are infested with thrips. Thrips are pretty easy to get rid of with insecticidal soap, though, so I decided to take the chance. As a general rule I don't buy plants that have not been well looked after.
No comments:
Post a Comment