Thursday, August 25, 2005

All Over the Map

I am all over the map today. Nothing specific to write about, but lots of little things worth mentioning.

Sunflower

If you have a birdfeeder in your yard, and you fill it with black oil sunflower seeds, then you are familiar with the phenomenon of picking sunflower sprouts. They spring up everywhere. Well, usually I am very good at getting them before they reach their second set of leaves. Today I found out that I must've missed one, way back when. Here is a picture of what happens when you miss a sprout:

Sunflower

Seedpod

Does anyone else ever enthuse over seedpods? I noticed that some of my Moonglow seedpods are starting to dry out and pop open. It's harvest time! And if you think that's weird, I actually took a picture of my favorite seedpod. It's different from the rest. The rest are all wrinkly and leathery looking. This one is soft and plump. It is the only seedpod that formed on my favourite daylily, El Desperado. Here is the picture (it's a bit out of focus, because my camera likes to concentrate on the mulch unless I remember to set it to "macro," which I did not).

El Desperado seedpod

Project

Mike and I managed a gardening project together today. We created a dry riverbed out of some extra river rock we had piled up at the side of the house. Here are the before and after pictures:


Before


Lawn before

After


Lawn with rock

1 comment:

EAL said...

I like the dry riverbed. This gives me some ideas for the front of our house, where shade and treeroots combine to make planting very difficult. I look forward to seeing the finished pictures of your various projects.