Still, yesterday we had an earthquake, which is about as exciting as things get around here. Other than that, I suppose I could post a photo of the delphiniums that have bloomed in the past couple of days.
Delphiniums

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I guess the only other garden news is the success of 'Hokus Pokus' hardy geranium. In 2007 I acquired it as a new plant in my garden. The label indicated it could take sun -- and most other hardy geraniums do -- so I didn't think twice about where I planted it. (By the way, I tend to use "hardy geranium" and "cranesbill" interchangeably, as the mood strikes. As far as I know they are just different terms for the same thing.)
Rescued 'Hokus Pokus' Hardy Geranium, 2008

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
So anyway, poor 'Hokus Pokus' fried in the afternoon sun, and it wasn't until I had only one leaf left that I rescued the poor thing and moved it to a new location where it would get mostly shade. In 2008 it had recovered to the point where the little plant had six healthy leaves. This year, I can say the rescued plant has sufficiently recovered and is thriving.
Thriving 'Hokus Pokus', 2010

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
It's holding its own in the side bed, putting a bit of light purple colour halfway between 'Hollywood' heuchera and the bronze foliage of 'Palace Purple' heuchera.
Side Bed

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
There really isn't a lot of colour to show off in the garden at large. Until the daylilies bloom, there's just the different cranesbills that are flowering consistently.
Looking West, with Cranesbill Blooming

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Oh, and here is an ugly photo of a "work in progress". (By the way, those jagged pieces of broken pottery are there because a local cat used to hide under the bench and prey on birds in our yard. I wanted to discourage the cat from spending time there. The owners have since put a bell on the cat, and we no longer feed birds in our yard, so I will be removing that broken pottery as part of the makeover.)
Work in Progress

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I used to have a huge sprawling patch of Clematis jouiana 'Mrs. Robert Brydon' between the arbour bench and the composter. The flowers were lovely, but the plant itself needed to be tied to the bench, and it was a lot of work to manage it properly. Lately it had spread in all directions beyond the composter, and was threatening to take over the entire area. Here is a photo from its better days.
Tumbling Clematis, September 2006

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
My new idea is to plant tall echinacea in the area instead. To that end, I have purchased a few on sale at local nurseries: 'Magnus', 'Ruby Giant', and 'Hope'.

I would have liked to have all 'Magnus', but there was only one pot available, so I went with a variety of choices instead.
The other "work in progress" will be to complete my sempervivum planters.

I'm hoping they will eventually look similar to this photo from the archives.
Sempervivum Planters 2008

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Someday. Soon. I hope.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
3 comments:
Karen, your garden is a beautiful sight even when there's not a lot blooming.
I've enjoyed catching up with your posts this morning.
Your containers are looking lovely.
That's such a pretty shot with the little Hokus Pokus blooming between the heucheras and hostas.
Happy summer!
Karen, your yard is looking good and the renovations keep things fun, don't they! Did you want to hide the composter entirely, because Echincea foliage isn't terribly abundant, though Magnus is definitely one of the best. With the exception of delphiniums, my versions of all the perennials you mentioned are DEAD. Ah, northern SK.
I wasn't really thinking of hiding the composter. I just want to add some colour and visual interest to the back of the garden. I am through with climbers and vines, so I figure tall flowers are the way to go, especially now that we have removed a couple of trees along the fence. I want to move my tall irises back there too, so that maybe they will actually bloom one of these years. (Sigh)
Post a Comment