They may not be as showy as big flowers like irises and poppies (and later daylilies, which will be very early in the garden this year -- I counted four plants already sending out scapes), but they are also worth looking at. The heuchera in this photo are strong and healthy, with 'Gypsy Dancer' on the left pushing out several scapes of delicate little flowers.
Heuchera Flowers

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
In the background behind the rock you can just see the bronze stalks of Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red', which are also blooming at this time. Look at these flowers. Not so big, but very photogenic.
Penstemon Flowers

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And here is another plant that is blooming with small flowers. I know it is some type of hardy geranium, but I don't have a label for it, so it remains a mystery plant for now. (Don't you love the long pistils with the starlike appendage at the end?)
Unknown Hardy Geranium

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And in the back garden, my columbine volunteers are still blooming, but they have started to set seed and I am now waiting eagerly for them to be ready to collect seeds from. I'm anxious to propagate these pretty plants, and hopefully have them grow somewhere that is not in the bricks of my patio.
Columbine Setting Seed

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
In spite of the emphasis on small flowers in this post, I should mention that the sister to yesterday's white poppy is also blooming. It looks a little bit better than the one which flopped on the ground and provided shelter for snails.
New White Poppy

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And with that, I will leave you.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment