Sunday, June 27, 2010

Five Alive

Five daylilies had their first blooms today.

(Yes, we call that excitement around here. Sad, isn't it?)

Dominic

'Dominic' First Bloom 27/06/2010
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Remember my speculation about Dominic? Well, this is definitely Dominic, and it's definitely blooming, and it's the first bloom I've seen on this plant since I acquired it a couple of years ago.

Here is one of my earliest acquisitions from Canning Perennials, and also one of my favourite daylilies. I like the watermark pattern at the eye, which may not be very obvious in this photo, since I wanted to include both flowers that bloomed today.

Lavender Rainbow

'Lavender Rainbow' First Bloom 27/06/2010
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Another dark daylily that I had been anticipating has bloomed today.

Ed Murray

'Ed Murray' First Bloom 27/06/2010
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Ed Murray is so consistent year after year that I hardly need to take a new photograph each time. And it always looks the same, regardless of the weather. Some flowers, especially the fleshy pinks, don't do well with rain. Here, the colour of this flower is uneven because of the downpour we've had in last few days. I hope to see some better flowers on this plant when the weather is dry.

Moristar Mix

'Moristar Mix' First Bloom 27/06/2010
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Sadly, I have no proper name for this daylily. It was labelled "Mix" by its grower, Moristar, so I have always called it Moristar Mix.

And finally, here is a daylily that is new to me this year. I acquired it in a charity sale, where it had been dug from someone's garden. Someone with heavy clay soil, as I could tell from the lump of dirt that surrounded it in the pot. But daylilies are very versatile, so this one didn't seem to mind being transferred to my garden, where the soil has a bit more organic matter.

Crimson Pirate

'Crimson Pirate' First Bloom 27/06/2010
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Crimson Pirate is a delicate, spidery flower. I don't have a lot of daylilies in this particular shape, so I was glad to discover I had bought this one. (I bought it on spec. I was lucky to even get the name. The other daylily I bought at the sale was labelled, "dark burgundy". So, we'll see what we end up with when that one blooms.)
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: