Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Anticipation

It is going to be a banner year for daylilies.

I know I said there were a few plants with scapes already, but really, it's a lot. By the end of June many of my early to mid-season daylilies will have their first blooms.

Now, historically my first daylily blooms have always been 'Moonglow' (before I acquired 'Little Red Spring Song'). And in 2008, for example, they were blooming on June 30. There are of course plenty of scapes on that plant, so maybe it will be earlier this year.

'Moonglow' Daylilies (2006)

Pair of 'Moonglow' Daylilies
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

However, the exciting thing about this year is that, also in the vicinity of 'Moonglow' there are 'Raspberry Swirl', 'Ed Murray', 'Dominic', 'Grecian Gown' and 'Luxury Lace', all with scapes waiting to bloom. (This post will include photos, but since scapes are boring, I will dig into the archives for photos of the flowers I am expecting early blooms for.)


Daylily Photos from the Archives

Raspberry Swirl (2007)

'Raspberry Swirl' Daylily
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Luxury Lace (2009)

'Luxury Lace' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Ed Murray (2007)

'Ed Murray' First Bloom 10/07/07
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Grecian Gown (2009)

Daylily 'Grecian Gown' First Bloom 09/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Actually, for 'Dominic' I don't have any archival photos. (If you click on the link, it goes to another person's Flickr photo of a healthy 'Dominic' daylily flower.) The year I planted 'Dominic', I clumsily knocked off all the buds from its lone scape. It has never bloomed since. That's why I'm extra happy that it might be blooming this year. I say "might be" because I might have misidentified which plant has the scapes. Until the scapes actually flower, I can't be 100% sure.

Backyard Daylily Garden, Late July, 2009

Daylily 'Royal Mountie' in the Garden
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


Over in the side and back, many of the daylilies are mid- to late season. For example, the dedicated daylily bed by the east fence is entirely late season daylilies (with the exception of 'Little Red Spring Song', which you've seen a lot of already on this blog). But there are still a few daylilies with scapes. 'Wayside King Royale' in the side garden, and 'Lavender Rainbow' under the Deborah maple tree.

Wayside King Royale, 2009

'Wayside King Royale' First Blooms 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Lavender Rainbow, 2008

Lavender Rainbow First Bloom 13/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Anyway, these are some of the early daylilies I am expecting to see bloom first this year. I can hardly wait.

And with that, I will leave you.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Cyndi B. said...

These pictures are beautiful. Looks like your garden is doing very well!

Garden Lily said...

Beautiful. Raspberry Swirl is now on my wish list.