Monday, May 26, 2008

Pretty Pictures

I wasn't sure whether to do pretty pictures or meaningful words for this post, but in the end I went with the pictures. First of all, I have new photos of the frog. The frog is moving closer to the house, and made its way up onto the porch, where I had stored a plastic watering can. When I went to grab the can to water my containers, I noticed this:

Nestled on My Watering Can

Nestled on My Watering Can

A close-up shot (look at the little nose!) reveals that our frog probably spends the night under the mulch somewhere near the step, before climbing the step during the day and exploring the porch.


Covered in Bits of Mulch

Friendly Frog

From a gardening point of view right now the only real "excitement" is (for the first time since planting it in 2006) the multiple blooms on my dwarf iris 'Grape Orbit'.


Dwarf Iris 'Grape Orbit'

'Grape Orbit' Irises

I guess there's very little reason to get excited about weeds in your garden, but these "weeds" keep popping up in the front yard and I love them (they are 'Star of Bethlehem' and are an escaped perennial, native to eastern Europe and parts of the Middle East, originally brought to North America as an ornamental plant). The only problem is, they don't always show up in a place I would have purposely planted them, but I guess I can live with that.


(Can You Believe These Are) Weeds in the Garden

Wildflowers

And finally, a couple of pictures of pansies from my containers. The pansies are doing brilliantly in the cool, wet, overcast weather we've been having. In fact, many of the plants are really thriving, though it seems to me that my rock rose and Johnson's Blue hardy geranium might be a little late in blooming. That's all I can really think of. Anyway, the pansies love this weather.


Ruffled Pansies

Ruffles

Avenging Angel

Avenging Angel
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

6 comments:

Jane O' said...

The frogs are out in full force here too. I counted 5 in the pond today and I think there were more nestled in the plants and on the bottom. My 2 year old grandson had a ball discovering them and how they small. It was a treat to see them through his eyes.

Jane O' said...

That was supposed to say "how they swam." :)

Ewa said...

Karen,
Your dwarf iris is adorable. so is the froggie :)

Piondröm said...

It was a cute little fellow.
We realy dont have that in Sweden, our is big, brown and slimey ;)
Ken

Sigrunn said...

What a cute little frog! The frogs in my garden (in Norway)are a different type, they're brown.
What a wonderful variety of flowers you've got. They're beautiful.
Have a nice weekend.

Gardenista said...

I'd definitely keep that "weed". It's beautiful. Your frog is a very good photographic subject too.