Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's Time For Planting Containers

Well, I went plant shopping with my son and we nearly broke the bank with our spending. I thought we had enough to fill the containers for spring, but no. I will have to see what I can do about getting some more. Probably buying the plants from a less expensive source would help with that. I should check out Wal-Mart and the big box stores instead of going to the nursery.

In the meantime, here are some photos of spring in my garden.

Globe Container

Globe Container, Spring 2008

This year, the globe container has primula, celosia, snapdragons, African daisies, coleus, lamium, pansies, and an ivy geranium. I love the colour of these African daisies:


Purple-Orange Blend African Daisies

African Daisies

I also love the spoon-shaped petals of this African daisy:


Spoon-Shaped Petals on African Daisy

African Daisy (with Spoon-shaped Petals)

Staying in the front yard, here is the display near the doorway. A two-level rock with ivy surrounding it supports a container-planted heuchera 'Prince of Silver' and of course my Buddha head ornament. Sadly, the daffodil blooms are finished for the season, but the tall foliage still works well here. I bought a new poppy to add to my collection, which you can see in the background.


Front Step Display

Front Step Display

These daffodils in another part of the yard are still blooming.


Daffodils, Three to a Stem

Tiny Daffodils, Three to a Stem

And nearby some moss phlox and a last remaining 'Pink Fountain' fringed tulip. Most of those tulips only sent up leaves and no blooms this year.


Moss Phlox and Pink Tulip

Tulip and Moss Phlox

A few tiny buds on the magnolia tree escaped the frost and we have some late blooms that are white and pink, without the brown frost damage.


A Magnolia Blossom that Escaped the Frost

The Last Magnolia Blossom

And a couple of photos from the back yard. I am showing the Lewisia Cotyledon plants, because the buds are just coming out and in a few days the riot of blooms will start. (I'm glad these plants survived the winter. There is another one where the main plant did not survive, but it seems as if a daughter plant might have fared better.)


Lewisia Cotyledon, Waiting to Bloom

Lewisia Cotyledon 2008

And finally, the triumph of my attempts at growing daylilies from my own seeds, this year's crop of champion seedlings:


Champion Daylily Seedlings, Grown from Seeds Gathered in My Garden

The Strongest Seedlings
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

8 comments:

frksnupp said...

What a beautiful garden you have! I was tempted to buy those daisies on Friday, and I defiitely have to get some now...see you in Ravelry =)

Anonymous said...

we went to wal mart yesterday, there was no one there at all, too damp and cold. i still haven't bought any bedding plants, i did buy several hanging baskets and a cheater geranium pot, but my tulips are actually still coming up, i'm not going to be ready to plant anything for another week or so.
loving those daisies!
bsts

verobirdie said...

Your pictures are beautiful. My favorite is that of the African daisy, for its color and shape.

Anonymous said...

Make sure to post a shot of that pot in a couple months. Love a good before and after photo.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - your containers and the photos are lovely. I am posting here instead of on the Ravelry thread.
Great job, Margarita

Kerri said...

Hi Karen! Your spring garden is blooming beautifully! I've loved seeing all your wonderful photos and catching up with your garden. Such wonderful tulips and daffodils..and such beautiful blooms on the magnolia. How sad that it got frosted.
I was interested to read which containers work best for you.
It's hard not to spend a fortune when we go plant shopping, isn't it?
Your container looks so bright and pretty with quite a variety of plants packed in there. It'll be gorgeous when it fills out.
I too love the color of your African Daisies.
I had the lilac spoon AD last year. Gorgeous!

Ewa said...

Karen,
Your containers look very colorful this spring :)
Greetings,

Anonymous said...

This is very fine post all the picture exhibit the real beauty of the nature.