Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Blooms, Food, and Frogs in the Garden

Remember I said I was waiting for the Lewisia to bloom. Well, here is the first flower.

Lewisia Cotyledon

Lewisia Cotyledon First Bloom

The dwarf iris 'Grape Orbit' also got its first bloom recently.

Iris 'Grape Orbit' Flower

Dwarf Iris 'Grape Orbit'

And it looks like there are plenty more to come.

More Blooms Coming

Iris Bloom

The rhubarb is about ready to harvest. Rhubarb is the only food I grow in the garden. It's hidden at the back behind the Japanese maple. I'd like to say I've always meant to grow more foodstuff, but the truth is that my garden is just for show. Except for rhubarb. I love rhubarb.


Rhubarb

Rhubarb

I thought the fritillaria were finished, but it turns out they were just overwhelmed by the hosta whose leaves are now unfurled. (When the fritillaria first bloomed, the hosta was only just poking its pointy shoots out of the mulch.)


Fritillaria Overshadowed by Hosta

Hosta and Fritillaria

I found this "weed" growing in the mulch in my garden. I'm thinking it is a native wildflower, although it could be an errant seed from one of my cultivated plants. The thing is, though, we do have a native cranesbill that grows in the woods nearby, so I'm hoping this is actually the wildflower version.


A "Weed" in My Garden (Possibly Native Cranesbill)

Native Cranesbill

And speaking of cranesbill, also known here as hardy geranium, I have many varieties of them. I can't wait for my Mourning Widow Cranesbill (Geranium phaeum 'Samobor') to bloom, as it will have dark purple flowers.


Mourning Widow Cranesbill (Geranium phaeum 'Samobor')

'Mourning Widow' Cranesbill

Also on the topic of cranesbill, the story of 'Hocus Pocus' (I think it is 'Hokus Pokus' in Europe). I thought I had killed it by planting it where it got the full brunt of the afternoon sun. The poor thing fried before I figured out I should move it. So I moved it to a much shadier location (not quite full shade, but as close as my garden gets) and I am pleased to note that it has come back this year, despite having only one wilted leaf left last year when I moved it.


Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium praetense 'Hokus Pokus')

'Hokus Pokus' Cranesbill

By the way, the label for this plant said "sun to part shade". I think I would amend that to "part sun to shade". This plant does not like the afternoon sun.

And finally, to finish up, I found this little green frog sleeping on my front porch in the cold this morning. I hope he sticks around, like his cousin Bob the Frog from a couple of years ago.


Green Frog

Green Frog (Bob the Second?)
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

9 comments:

Survivalwoman said...

I do So love Your Froggers. He is So Bright and Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I thought he was a big bright green rock.

Anonymous said...

I just love the photos of all your spring flowers as well as your froggy friend (who doesn't look to happy with our cold weather -- can't say I blame him). But I have to admit I'm jealous of your Iris. Maybe you could help me out. I just planted some in my garden last year and I don't see a thing resembling a bud on them. Do they require time to become established before blooming? Help. TWT
P.S. I have been lurking here for awhile and I just have to say you have such a beautiful and peaceful garden. I love to visit.

Philosophical Karen said...

TWT: I have had mixed luck with iris (the luck of the iris -- ha!). It was not until I learned to dig them up each year and chop off the old, spent parts of the root and replant the new growth that I had any consistency in the blooms.

Now, having said that, only my EARLY irises are blooming yet. I do have some in my garden that are still only leaves. However, if yours don't end up blooming this year, dig them up and divide them, throw away the dried up part of the roots and keep the new growth for replanting. That should help.

Gardenista said...

oooh, what beautiful and delicious pictures! I really like that frog too. We don't have anything like that here, just little guys that are singing down by the lake in the evenings. I'm still hoping for Lewisia blooms sometime in the next month. Yours is nice.

Unknown said...

Awwwww. The frog is cute. :)

I have (and love) 'Samobor' geranium... but I'm drooling over your lewisia. What rich flower color you have on yours! I am planning to take your advice, and hope to keep mine happy accordingly.

Wicked Gardener said...

Wow - the blooms on that Iris! I would be just giddy!

Ewa said...

Frog is lovely :) I wish it will stay on your porch. We do not have so colored frogs :)

Annie in Austin said...

I can't resist the frog either, Karen and am a little jealous of you and Mary from Mary's View who actually pets the one in her garden!
I'll will try to be content with the toad we saw clambering into a flowerpot last night.

One 'Grape Orbit' was pretty, but three of them open at once is somehow much better than just the accumulation of 3 flowers. How does that work?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose