Friday, August 14, 2009

First and Last

So I went about my garden taking note of all the "last" daylilies -- plants whose blooms are all but spent for the season -- and I was amazed to discover a first bloom among them. I think this is the final one in my collection, Royal Palace Prince.


Royal Palace Prince

First 'Royal Palace Prince' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I checked, and although it has bloomed as early as July 29 in earlier, drier years, last year (also wet) it bloomed on August 14, too. (A remarkably consistent plant!) Now, here are some daylilies that are just finishing up their season today.

Ice Carnival

Last 'Ice Carnival' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Lucky Catch

Last 'Lucky Catch' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Persian Ruby

Last 'Persian Ruby' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Darkside

Last 'Darkside' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Africa

Last 'Africa' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Druid's Chant

Last 'Druid's Chant' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Royal Mountie

Last 'Royal Mountie' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Daveo Holman

Last 'Daveo Holman' 14/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

David Kirchoff

'David Kirchoff' First Bloom 02/08/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


And, since we're awfully close to Garden Blogger's Bloom Day, I'll include a few photos of things other than daylily blooms.

Japanese Anemone

Japanese Anemone
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Unknown Hosta

Hosta Flowers
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Miniature Hosta 'Stiletto'

Miniature Hosta 'Stiletto'
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Black-Eyed Susan

Black-Eyed Susans
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Pretty flowers. Day lillies are so beautiful You have quite a collection.

Kerri said...

I love Royal Palace Prince. Such beautiful color and form.
My White Temptation and Joan Senior were the last bloomers. WT has just finished and JS has one last bud still to open. I can't believe what a long season its had!
You certainly have some beauties!
My J. Anemones are putting on a lovely show right now. It's fun to watch the bees enjoying them.

quu said...

I love those dark ones. Have you written post about nearly black daylilies?

Unknown said...

These photos are beautiful.