Tuesday, August 04, 2009

My Newest Seedling

My newest seedling bloomed today for the very first time ever.

I played bumblebee with my daylilies in 2006 and 2007, collected seeds and planted them. And neglected them. (But not entirely.) Some grew anyway.

I call them the strong ones.

First there was Offspring that bloomed in a forgotten corner of the garden in 2008.

My First Seedling

The Offspring
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Then there was another one, early on this year.

My Second Seedling

Second Flower for Seedling
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Now, the best one of all.

My Newest Seedling

My Newest Seedling
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

It has the coloring of Moonlit Masquerade (or possibly Snowy Eyes) with a size and shape reminiscent of El Desperado. I did not keep track of parentage with my seedling experiments. I prefer surprises. Especially nice surprises. Aha! That will be my name for it: Nice Surprise.

Possible Parentage

For comparison, here is a look at other daylilies in my garden that might have contributed parentage.

Moonlit Masquerade

'Moonlit Masquerade'
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Snowy Eyes

Snowy Eyes First Bloom 21/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

El Desperado

Five 'El Desperado' Blooms Today
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Clever girl! Someday I might try that.
Actually the second one looks even more like Summerwine.
That 3rd seedling is gorgeous. I love all 3 of the possible parentage lilies, but especially Snowy Eyes.