Saturday, October 01, 2005

The First of October

I can't believe it's the first of October already. Our weather is holding.

I've cleaned up the front some, in preparation for winter. The butterfly bush is gone. (I cut it down to the ground every year and let it grow back.)

I've cut the dead stalks off the daylilies, and pulled out most of the dead and damaged leaves. I cut the suckers off of the corkscrew hazel bushes. And, most important of all, I planted the mums in the cast iron urns, and moved the urns to the side of the house so they would get partial shade instead of full sun. It won't look quite as good as having the urns frame the garage, but the mums will last longer.

containers on the right
containers on the left
Another item fitting the beginning of October is a sweet little (expensive) hosta I bought when we were planting the side beds. It's called Red October, presumably because it blooms in October and has red stems.

Red October

2 comments:

Butterfly Kisses said...

It looks like you have a beautiful garden. I have traditionally let my husband take care of the yard, but his projects were taking too long, so just this past year I've started to contribute. I know I've got a lot to learn about how flowers grow, but it has been fun this year. Your blog inspires me.

Philosophical Karen said...

Thanks for taking the time to read my gardening blog. This one is a labour of love.