Tuesday, September 13, 2005

September Blahs

I thought I'd include a picture of the new steps as they are supposed to look, with lots of blooming containers squished in the corner to cover up the peeling pachetting. Next year, I am going to do more with the coleus that has miniature leaves. They don't require so much water and, unlike the large-leaved kinds I have, they hardly ever wilt in the sun. I got maybe six dahlia blooms this year. I have to remember not to get them next year (though these were from a bargain basket I got at Wal-Mart, so I didn't spend a whole lot).

new steps
To continue this post, I'll create some kind of collage of what's still blooming or just starting to bloom, like various versions of sedum, and my white butterfly bush.

white sedum with variegated leaves
On the front, I have my icicle pansies planted, and a second batch of Moonglow daylilies.


2 comments:

EAL said...

I love large leaf coleus. But I think that a lot of the so-called small-leaf becomes large-leaf over time. I have found this to be true.

For an awesome selection of coleus, you might want to check out selectseeds.com. They have WAY more coleus than you would ever see at a store. I will be posting some of the coleus I got from them.

Philosophical Karen said...

You know, you're right. I went and checked my plants and there's very little difference in leaf size once the plant matures.

I guess part of what I am thinking of is surface area. The dark, fuzzy ones with thick ruffled leaves (I'm so good with names, aren't I?) require a lot of water. I'm not sure what it is about the yellow one, but it needs a lot of water, too. I just took pictures to post so you'll know what I'm talking about.

I checked out that site. They have some nice coleus. (And other plants too.)