Last year, my Queen of the Night tulips that I had planted in 2003 returned for a second showing, but the cream tulips (can't recall their name) did not. I'll have to see if anything I planted in 2004 will return this spring.
It wouldn't actually be a tragedy if they did not. Up to now, I've been a terrible bulb-planter. I did not have the sense to visualize the finished result, and simply placed bulbs in no particular group or order. I'm trying to change that by planting clumps of bulbs this year, rather than echoing last year's haphazard placement. I'm hoping that next year's spring garden will look better than 2005's ratty collection of Raika, Zurel, Ballade, and Shirley.Can you see how the bright red flowering quince is playing havoc with my (attempted) restful purple and white theme? I wonder how long it will be before I rip out the quince and replace it with weigela, or something prettier. Those red flowers do yield fruit, but this variety is not considered very edible. (Didn't stop me from cooking one up and trying it anyway. Not very tasty, as expected.)
3 comments:
(my wandering here is Mike's fault)
I tend to stick with cannas as bulbs, because I always seem to fail with everything else I try. My calla lilies made a pathetic showing, only getting a single flower no matter how tenderly I cared for them. My hyacinths and daffodils have their own issues with the landscape, and I get very few blooms.
The cannas, on the other hand, multiply and bloom like crazy, and make lovely focal points.
Ah, Pooka, come back to my Gardening Blog anytime. (Not many people do.)
I guess Texas heat would be hard on hyacinths and daffodils, whereas I'm pretty sure cannas would need some babying here in our northern climate.
My blog tends to have -everything- in it, so during the summers, there's lots of gardening posts. I'm going back and filling in old entries, which I have to do on the laptop since that's where all the pictures are hiding.
TX heat is hard on EVERYTHING, even heat-loving plants. We've been drastically short on rainfall this summer, and even weeds are starting to die from it. My BLACKBERRIES are wilting, if that says anything, and down here, blackberries grow like kudzu.
Post a Comment