Sunday, September 04, 2005

Catching Up

I've been actually doing things in the garden lately, rather than just blogging about it.

I divided my irises and replanted them in a new location, using the propagation instructions I found in the book Growing Perennials in Cold Climates. The book said to discard the old part in the middle and just cut the edges free with a clean, sharp knife. So I did that. It also said to cut the leaves to about 6 inches, so I did that too, and it looks like this:

Irises

I cleared out a lot of overgrown bushes along the fence under the willow. The things that are left stand out much better now:

Clear fence

First Snakes, Now Spiders

A spider the size of my thumbnail has spun a web through my petunias:

Spider

Shopping for Bulbs

Bought these tulip bulbs at Terra today:

10 Queen of the Night (dark purple)
10 Jackpot (dark purple with white edges)
10 Christmas Sweet (white, new for 2005)
10 Holland Chic (lily flowering, white with pinkish-purple stripe)
10 Pink Diamond (pastel pink -- a new colour for me)
15 "Moonlight Sonata" (mixed dark purple and cream)

Tulip bulbs

Other Terra Purchases

As well as bulbs, I was looking for icicle pansies, which I love to plant at this time of year because they last until snow comes and then they bloom again in spring. I am sticking with my purple and white (or cream) theme. An added bonus is that these seem to be ruffled pansies, so they have a delicate scent.

Today's real find though was a ruffled echevera. It almost looks like ornamental kale, but it's a large hens & chicks plant. I have a "normal" echevera, which has done well this year, and even has some daughters hidden beneath it.

Here are some icicle pansies surrounding the ruffled echevera:

More Terra Purchases

The echevera I have right now is in a shallow bowl planter with some different types of stonecrop:

Echevera in shallow planter

Here is a closeup showing one of the daughters:

Echevera daughter

No comments: