Saturday, July 16, 2011

First Blooms and First Shows

Based on the (non) appearance of spent blooms, I can tell whether a daylily had its first bloom while I was away or whether today's flower is the first bloom of the year for that plant. With that knowledge, I can get back to my usual practice of cataloguing the date of first bloom for certain daylilies.

Here are today's actual first blooms, of which there are five:

'Sabine Baur'

'Sabine Baur'

'Siloam Doodlebug'

'Siloam Doodlebug' First Bloom 07/16/11

'Kwanso'

'Kwanso' First Bloom 07/16/11

'Country Melody'

'Country Melody' First Bloom 07/16/11

'Justin Miller'

'Justin Miller' First Bloom 07/16/1

In addition to first blooms for the year, there are some daylilies that bloomed today that were not blooming yesterday, so as far as the blog is concerned, their flowers are "new" here.

'Cimarron Knight'

'Cimarron Knight'

'Lady Fingers'

'Lady Fingers'

'Russian Rhapsody'

'Russian Rhapsody'

Also worth mentioning is the fact that some of my daylilies (even ones that have been completely reliable up to this year) are starting to get sickly and produce inferior flowers. This makes me sad, especially Lavender Rainbow, which is hands-down my favourite daylily.

'Druid's Chant'

'Druid's Chant'

'Lavender Rainbow'

'Lavender Rainbow'

This next couple of daylilies are not sickly (although 'Mini Might' has seen better days), but are miniatures. A miniature daylily must produce flowers that are less than 3 inches across. Some of my miniatures are registered as such, but some, like Naomi Ruth are just sports, for whatever reason producing miniature versions of the regular flower.

'Mini Might'

'Mini Might'

'Naomi Ruth'

'Naomi Ruth'

Chicago Atlas is, sadly, suffering the same fate as some of my irises. It has grown through the chain link fence (again, I must say, chain link was not my choice) and blooms on the neighbour's side.

'Chicago Atlas'

'Chicago Atlas'

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

4 comments:

Marcia said...

You have such an assortment. Are some of these your creation?

Ginnie Hart said...

I had no idea there were so many DIFFERENT daylilies. I'm astounded by your collection...and that you even know their names!

Gabrielle/flowerbulbcrazy said...

WOW- you are obviously a lily collector! Love the variety!

paula j said...

I love the form of Kwanso. Discovered your blog today and I am drenching myself in day lilies! Enjoying it so much.