Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lots of First Blooms Today

Trying to remember the names of all of these is a challenge. That's why I love looking at past years' posts. It's an automatic method of research for my own garden.

For example, Woodside Rhapsody is kind of forgettable: just another purple daylily popping up in the side garden. Not Wayside King Royale, but I think the name is sort of similar... So all I do is look up daylily posts from last year and see which flower looks the same in order to jog my memory.

Bonanza

Bonanza, First Bloom 20/07/11

Woodside Rhapsody

Woodside Rhapsody, First Bloom 20/07/11

Light Years Away

Light Years Away, First Bloom 20/07/11

Alpine Mist

Alpine Mist, First Bloom 20/07/11

Coal Miner

Coal Miner, First Bloom 20/07/11

Sunday Gloves

Sunday Gloves, First Bloom 20/07/11

Trahlyta

Trahlyta, First Bloom 20/07/11

Catherine Woodbury

Catherine Woodbury, First Bloom 20/07/11

Royal Mountie

Royal Mountie, First Bloom 20/07/11

Not all first blooms are pretty. It's not a good year for Light Years Away, a fleshy pink flower with a yellow piecrust edge.

Most well-established daylilies will hang on in a drought year, but some of my plants have been getting weaker and so the drought has not been kind to them. The nursery stalwarts are usually pretty good, but some of my choices from the daylily farm ended up being the runts of the litter. Not sure if I will see much more of them.

Ah well, that's how it goes. Win some, lose some. Of the hundred or so varieties of daylilies I have bought and planted over the last six years, I've probably got over sixty still blooming each summer. But counting things like that is an exercise for the end of August. It's too early yet.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Dogwood trees Tennessee said...

WOW! It so beautiful flowers collection, i like it..
Thanks for sharing..

Ginnie Hart said...

How could there possibly be so many...and how could you possibly remember all their names!

Lisa said...

Definitely, a lovely and beautiful flower collection. I like the most those with purple shades.

Lisa from Country Guitar Lessons