Friday, July 15, 2011

Evening

Edit: Sorry I keep changing my posts, but I have this tendency to misidentify my daylilies, especially in the large bed. This time around I realized that the ruffled red I was calling 'Justin Miller' is actually 'Lucky Catch'. 'Justin Miller' has now bloomed and is more of an orangey-red and less ruffled.

I went out again this evening with the camera. Normally in July I would be posting once a day, with a few flowers each day to show as they put out their first blooms. With the timing of our vacation this year, the "usual practice" has not been possible. So here are some of the daylilies that weren't shown this morning, or that weren't open to their best advantage.

One noticeable thing about my flower choices is that I love dark daylilies. I seem to be on a quest for a reliably dark flower without too much red in it. My collection contains many daylilies that I have bought in an attempt to meet my requirement, with varying levels of success.

'American Revolution'

'American Revolution'

'Siloam Plum Tree'

'Siloam Plum Tree'

'Wayside King Royale'

'Wayside King Royale'

'Darkside'

'Darkside'

'Bela Lugosi'

'Bela Lugosi' Fully Opened

'Strutters Ball'

Strutters Ball'

Cricket Dance is normally a very dark daylily. It's great for a flower garden, with plenty of scapes and a high bud count. It has one drawback, however, and that is its tendency to lose colour easily. Here is a photo from the end of the day. The petals look almost bleached.

'Cricket Dance'

'Cricket Dance'

But not all my daylilies are dark purple. There are many, many of them in my garden, and they come in almost all the colours that daylilies are available in. For example, the reds seem to be well represented at this time of year.

'Lucky Catch'

'Lucky Catch'

Ed Murray

'Ed Murray'

'Persian Ruby'

'Persian Ruby'

'Executive Decision'

'Executive Decision'

'Highland Lord'

'Highland Lord'

Highland Lord is a double daylily that hasn't been giving me reliable doubles for the past couple of years. Today the plant had two flowers, both doubles, but neither of them fully open even as late as 7PM.

The remaining daylilies for which I have photos this evening are apricot and pink.

'Green Eyes Wink'

'Green Eyes Wink'

'David Kirchoff'

'David Kirchoff'

'Strawberry Candy'

'Strawberry Candy'

'Spiritual Corridor'

'Spiritual Corridor'

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh those are stunning, I agree the dark ones are beautiful. In MI there is an orange one I fell in love with because it grew wild. What I don't love are those pale yellow ones overused in landscaping, sadly I have some. You are convincing me to look for something different now.

Ginnie Hart said...

How in the world do you keep these all straight??? I guess if they were your children, you would, wouldn't you!

paula j said...

I am interested to know if all these varieties are single plants ie do you just have one of each are do you mass plant any of them ? Are the lilies mingled together, or planted singularly as specimens ? Would love to see photos of your garden as a whole. Maybe as I continue to catch up,on your posts I will run across some photos that will answer my questions. Beautiful.