Thursday, June 09, 2011

More Than Just Irises

The first daylily of the season surprised me this morning as I was making the garden rounds.

Daylily 'Little Red Spring Song'

Little Red Spring Song 2011/06/09

However, the first poppy of the season was no surprise. I've been waiting about a week to see which one would pop first. As usual, it's an 'Allegro'. It is bright reddish-orange today, but, characteristic of the Allegro, the edges of the petals will turn white as the flower ages.

'Allegro' Poppy

Allegro Poppy

There are no new irises (still waiting for 'Before the Storm' to bloom), but I have irises blooming on both sides of the chain link fence now. By the way, I really should check my own blog before I make sweeping statements like, "This iris hasn't bloomed since 2006." June 12, 2009. Enough said. (I found this by googling, of all things. It was reblogged on Garden Voices.)

Irises on Both Sides of the Fence

Irises on Both Sides of the Fence

And I have proof that whole world is a toilet as far as birds are concerned. They will crap on anything, even if it's beautiful. (Okay, I might be projecting a little here. Birds standing in for the world in general, or some such thing. Usually I like birds. Really.)

Stupid Birds!

Birds Don't Care

As in the post of two years ago, there is plenty of cranesbill blooming now too. 'Ankums Pride' has been showing flowers for a while, but 'Johnson's Blue' and 'Mrs. Kendall Clark' got their first ones today.

Ankums Pride

Ankums Pride Hardy Geranium

Mrs. Kendall Clark

Hardy Geranium 'Mrs. Kendall Clark'

Johnson's Blue

"Johnson's Blue" Hardy Geranium

And to finish up, here is a pretty close-up of that Ankums Pride.

Ankums Pride Close-Up

'Ankums Pride' Hardy Geranium

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Ginnie Hart said...

I really am thrilled by your camera work, Ms. Karen! And I mean that sincerely.