Friday, June 12, 2009

Blooms in June

Well, I haven't been blogging much here lately, but there's a good reason for that. I've had surgery on my hip and I haven't been able to (and still can't) get around, even to take photos, let alone work in the garden.

But the good news is...my husband has been quite willing to take the camera into the garden for me and get photos of some blooms.

June in the garden is beautiful, with iris and poppies, and the weigela in bloom.

Weigela

Weigela
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

It's also the time for hardy geranium (cranesbill). Usually I know the names of the different varieties by location, when I take the photos myself, but since these are my husband's work I am only guessing at what's what. In the case of 'Ankums Pride', it has its own distinct pink colour that makes it fairly easy to identify.

'Ankums Pride' Hardy Geranium

'Ankums Pride' Hardy Geranium
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I have no idea whether that insect represents a general infestation, or my husband just picked an unfortunate flower to photograph.

This one is 'Mrs. Kendall Clark', a new acquisition last year.

Geranium praetense 'Mrs. Kendal Clark'

'Mrs. Kendall Clark' Hardy Geranium
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And another, rather plainer, new acquisition is this Geranium sanguineum alba.

White Hardy Geranium

Geranium Sanguineum Alba
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I have no idea what this one is.

Unknown Hardy Geranium

Hardy Geranium
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The rest of the show consists of poppies and iris. 'Lullaby of Spring' tall iris is reliable in my garden. I keep moving it around and it still keeps blooming.

'Lullaby of Spring' Iris

'Lullaby of Spring' Iris
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This one is a new one to me. I must have just planted it (or moved it) last year. I have no name for it, but I love the colour combination.

Unknown Iris

Iris
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Now here is the first poppy, opened. It's an 'Allegro'. The edges of the petals turn white as it ages. This photo was taken when it had just opened.

First Poppy

First Poppy
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This is one of my favourite poppies. It didn't bloom last year, so I'm glad to see it back this year. I think it might be a light version of 'Patty's Plum'. I supposedly planted a 'Patty's Plum' back in 2004, but have never had a dark purple poppy show up in my garden. This is as close to purple as I get.

My Favourite Poppy

My Favourite Poppy
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Here is one called 'Manhattan'.

Papaver 'Manhattan'

'Manhattan' Poppy
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Well, it's not near time for my daylilies yet, though I've seen the dreaded 'Stella d'Oro' blooming everywhere in its institutional plantings. I am hoping by the time the big daylily show starts in my garden in mid-July, I will be able to get around enough to actually take the photos myself and blog each new bloom as I have done in past years.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Gardenista said...

Good luck with recovery from the hip surgery! How nice of your husband to photograph your flowers. I had to smile at the "unknown" flower labels for the pictures. My dear husband did the same for me last week while I was way far away waiting to have a baby! I was actually surprised to see that despite his laughing at my request, he still did take pictures for me. Anyhow, we have another little potential gardener in our house now and I'm out gardening already. Take care.

Kerri said...

Karen, I'm glad to see by your latest post above that you're getting out a bit now and able to at least take photos. Your hubby did a great job documenting the lovely earlier June blooms.
Lullaby of Spring iris is glorious!
I can well understand your frustration at not being able to garden, but as you say, the 'good bones' are showing their worth, and your garden looks good in spite of the lack of work being done.
I hope your recovery is as speedy as possible. Try to be patient :)