I had in mind some zonal geraniums for the garage urns.
Zonal Geraniums in the Garage Urns

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
These ones are almost neon in colour, with the flower petals being bright pink around the edges, with an orangey-red centre. Sometimes I find myself drawn to intense colours, and this would be one of those times.
Bright as Neon

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I may have been inspired by the lovely 'Turkenlouis' poppy that has just made its appearance in the front garden.
'Turkenlouis' Poppy

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
It's actually an intense crimson red, though the camera has rendered it a bit more towards orange in this photo.
Equally beautiful, but slightly more subdued, is this new sempervivum planter that will become this year's showpiece on the shelf rock. (After this year, I can move it around back with the other sempervivum planters. More on that later.)
New Sempervivum Planter

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
In Place on the Shelf Rock

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
So, after trying my hand at beautifying the front a bit, I walked (ever so frustratingly slowly) around the back to assess what's been going on with it for the past while.
It wasn't a happy sight, I can tell you.
First, the long view, which doesn't seem all that bad if you squint a bit.
Back Garden Long View

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
As I've said before, good bones help a lot.
But as we move closer, say to the sempervivum planters that have always been renewed year after year with interesting co-plantings like echeveria and sedum, what do we see?
Neglect -- no abandon. (This is what they are supposed to look like.)
Abandoned Sempervivum Planters

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Last year I got as far as buying the plants to fill the empty spaces in the planters, but never actually got around to planting them. Now the whole thing (and even the patio) is a haven for weeds.
But wait, there's more... More weeds, that is.
A Testament to Hardiness

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
It's a testament to hardiness that some of these plants have come back this year in their plastic pots, despite having sat there neglected since last fall, and despite competing with weeds for what little soil is available.
Oh, and do you see that aquilegia growing there in the stones (just under the downspout)? The parent plant is supposed to be halfway up the hill by the elm tree. It must have seeded itself "downstream" during last summer's incessant rain.
Oh gosh, I have more photos but that's all I can bear to show for the moment.
In truth, my garden is ugly right now.
I wish I could get out there and make it better.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
4 comments:
Ahh, I can imagine the frustration! How do you get the weeds out of your patio, anyhow? Are you still able to use roundup in your province or do you have one of those blowtorch weeder things? The red poppy is really nice. My oriental poppy is not nearly at that stage yet (and I hate the color, but don't have the heart to tear it out).
Well, normally the weeds wouldn't be anything like this, because I would be out almost daily in the garden and take care of them as I go. Unfortunately last year was very rainy, and the patio is at the bottom of a slope, so we have even more of a problem this year.
Lately we've used the blowtorch device on the weeds (but then you just get a whole lot of half-dead weeds everywhere -- someone should really pick up the weed carcasses, and that isn't getting done).
I need to hire a "replacement me" who will get out there and do all the things I would normally do, like weeding, pruning, sweeping, clearing, dividing, planting...
I never knew I did so much until all of a sudden it wasn't getting done any more.
Well even that 'ugly' shot of the garden is lovely.
I know YOU see everything that is out of place, but to the unfamiliar eye, your garden has grace and motion.
Just remember as you ease back - take it a little at a time. Gardens have as much patience as the gardener. It'll wait.
I know how you are feeling on some level as I have not been out in the yard nearly as much as I would like since I have been working. If I lived closer, much closer, I would come and you could tell me what to do...
Post a Comment