Ubiquitous Weeds

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I realized as I did my grocery shopping yesterday that at this time of year I would normally go to the garden centre in the parking lot before even thinking about milk and eggs and breakfast cereal and all that other stuff. But this year I have other things on my mind.
Backyard: "Good Bones"

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Luckily, the garden has "good bones", and -- except for the ubiquitous weeds and last fall's detritus still waiting to be cleared -- it still manages to put on a decent show. Daffodils, tulips, and iris are the main players, although a lot of what was blooming was already past its prime when I took the photos. Like these magnolia blossoms.
Magnolia Blossoms (Past Their Prime)

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Or some of these daffodils.
Hybrid Daffodils

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
These are some early tulips, which were at their peak about a week and a half ago.
Early Tulips, First Year Showing

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Now we have the later tulips putting on a show. Many of these bulbs are a couple of years old now. The flowers are smaller, slightly frail-looking, compared to the first year of planting. I'm grateful, though, that they continue to bloom.
Late Tulips, from Older Bulbs

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The irises are also putting on a good show, including my favourite dwarf iris, 'Grape Orbit'.
Dwarf Iris 'Grape Orbit'

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Some other blooms that I like at this time of year are Pasque Flower, which can be quite photogenic, though they are hard to photograph being so close to the ground. I usually just hold the camera down in front of the flower, snap a few photos, and hope for the best. Sometimes I get one or two good photos in the bunch.
Pasque Flowers

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And finally, a promise of what comes next in the garden. Here is a poppy bud that should be ready to bloom at the end of May or early June.
Poppy Bud

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
4 comments:
I hope your gardening situation gets better this year! The grape orbit iris is really beautiful. I wish I had one of those!
i knew i wouldn't be disappointed here. fyi, my husband admired a beautiful daf i had growing in our flower bed, only to be told it was actually a huge dandelion. and i have no excuses.
The garden is definitely showing its "good bones" in your absence, Karen... it still looks great! (But I hope that whatever is going on eases up and allows you to get back at it soon.) I love that little iris--I tried growing some dwarf iris this year from bulbs, but unfortunately they were this terrible combination of light blue and bright yellow. I couldn't handle the mismatch of hues, so I pulled them out... but were they the coloring of yours, I would still have them! :)
With your photography, even the dandelions look nice.
Post a Comment