It's a great book, full of conventional and unconventional gardening ideas, among other things. I have come away with the idea of making my own cold frame out of an old window. Not that I have ever grown anything from seed that would benefit from a cold frame, but I know where I can get my hands on an old wooden window and now I just want to try it to see how it works.

Photo belongs to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
Another book of a different kind that has inspired me lately is one by Sue Bishop. Her book, Photographing Flowers, not only contains pages and pages of flowery eye candy, but its subtitle is "Inspiration * Equipment * Technique" -- so it's full of good information on all of those, too.
I included the photograph above because I would like to be able to take more photos similar to it, and I hoped that Sue Bishop's book would help with that. We'll have to see next year, as there are no more daylilies to take photos of in the cold and dreary November weather.
6 comments:
That is a beautiful photo. Was a special background filter used?
It was taken with a large aperture setting, and with the camera close to the subject. Both those will contribute to a shallow depth of field (blurry background).
The actual background in this direction consisted of other colourful daylilies and an overhang of dark green leaves. It was late afternoon light, which happened to hit the background flowers and make them glow.
I knew I would get a blurry background because of the lens I used, but when I saw this photo it took my breath away.
It is stunning! i spend my winter reading gardening books and drawing up plans for the spring. often nothing comes of it but it is a fabulous way to keep in the garden so to speak.
I've never seen such beautiful pictures in my life. Keep up the good work,this is excellent.
Great post.Thanks for remembering me,its always good to read your name in another blog.That you have inspired them.You take lovely photos, hope thzt book keeps you going over the winter!
Wonderful photo, with such a soft pretty background! No wonder you were so pleased with it. I can't wait for next year's daylilies!
I loved Chocolat and will look in the library for Blackberry Wine. If you plant lettuce and spinach, mesclun mix, radishes...to name a few cool weather crops...in early spring or fall in a cold frame, you'll have salad veges. That's always nice. I've never planted flower seeds in a cold frame but there must be some that would work well.
The Sue Bishop books sounds interesting too. Thanks!
Post a Comment