Friday, November 17, 2006

Icicle Pansies

I still have pansies, but that's about it. (I still don't understand why "pansy" is sometimes synonymous with weakness -- these are some of the strongest little flowers I know; able to withstand cold and frost, they only die when the ground freezes.)

White Icicle Pansy

Purple Icicle Pansy

Yellow Icicle Pansy

12 comments:

Alison said...

And even with the cold they don't always die. I still have some blooming from last summer. I'll have to take some pics and do a copy cat post on my garden blog....

Laurie and Chris said...

I love pansies. They always remind me of my grandmother they where her favorite flower.

Anita said...

Oh, how sweet, panies! You know that they are one of my favourite flowers, don't you? ;-))
The pure yellow one is very pretty!

David (Snappy) said...

I love Pansies too.They are tougher than the name suggests.Gorgeous pics to light up my dark night!

Annie in Austin said...

Lovely photos of a favorite flower, Karen!
I bought a few dozen young pansy plants yesterday, to put in the hanging baskets. In this odd climate, the pansies are planted in fall, to bloom off and on through the winter. Once the heat hits in mid-May, they fry & die. I've been here over 7 years but it still seems weird.

Did anyone else ever read "Little Women" where Beth embroiders the pansies on Mr Lawrence's slippers?

Annie

MariaJ said...

How weird to find pansies here...but so very beautiful. I buy pansies at Easter and have to through them away in july (if it has been a hot summer).

Bob said...

I've sometimes wondered that about why we call someone a Pansy because really I think a Pansy is tough and beautiful - I guess if a guy was viewed as beautiful he could be considered a Pansy by the less beautiful ones - these guys can get so bitchy sometimes can't they!!!!

Kerri said...

I too love pansies. We had some wonderful colors in volunteers this summer which came up where we planted the 5 'on sale' roses last fall. In place of the 3 roses that didn't survive the winter we got pansies and seed geraniums! A little compensation for our loss. That made me smile :)

Kerri said...

P.S. I love your photos. They're beautifully clear and colorful. There's nothing pansyish about pansies! :) It's very strange how some of these expressions come to be! I still have some blooming too.

Diana LaMarre said...

I've never considered that, Karen, but you are so right. Few annuals are as tough as a pansy!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Wonderful, Caren, some colour in the wintertime.

Sigrun

Naturegirl said...

The rabbits{{ate}} mine overnite!