Monday, May 16, 2011

Too Cold for Tulips

Well, we had some lovely sunshine throughout the week, but as soon as the weekend started, so did the rain. I think it has stopped raining for now, but it is very cold. I couldn't really photograph all the tulips in their glory, because they are folded closed against the dull sky and chilly wind.

Tulips Closed Against the Cold

Tulip Group

The lovely pink early tulips which were so beautiful a week or so ago are finally entering their last days. The petals are starting to curl outward in anticipation of when they will fall off the stem.

Early Tulips Almost Done

Early Tulips Almost Done

In the meantime, the late tulips are just starting to show their buds. These are old bulbs now, and the flowers will probably be quite small and unspectacular when they do bloom.

Late Tulip Buds

Fancy Tulips Waiting to Bloom

Let's not forget the daffodils. It seems I have planted enough varieties now that they bloom over time, like the tulips. So I have some that are finishing while others are only just starting to open. There are some large yellow double daffodils in the back yard that are very top-heavy and have fallen over in the rain. They are quite lovely for yellow flowers though. (I would have to say that bright yellow is not my favourite colour for flowers -- or anything, really.)

Easter Bonnet Final Days

Easter Bonnet Daffodils Almost Done

Huge Yellow Double Daffodil

Big Yellow Daffodil

Daffodils with Zurel Tulip

Daffodils with Zurel Tulip

Three-Headed Daffodils

Little Three-Headed Daffodils

The hyacinth is well and truly done, and there is something weirdly fascinating about its decay. The flowers as they fade remind me of dried out husks of dead spiders, or strange sea creatures floating in the ocean.

Hyacinth Decay

White Hyacinth Done

There are still a few magnolia blossoms left to be enjoyed, but for the most part the wind and the rain has cleared the tree of petals and light green leaves are beginning to take over.

One of the Last Blooms

One of the Last Intact Blooms

The elm leaves are emerging, as well as the magnolia. I find the brand new leaves as delightful as flowers when springtime comes around. They are only around for such a short time.

Springtime Elm

Horizontal View of Elm Leaves

Magnolia Leaves Emerging

Magnolia Leaves Emerging



...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Ginnie Hart said...

I cannot begin to tell you, Karen, how your images are just blowing me away. Mouth-wide-open away! I would want all of these framed and hung all over my house if I were you!