Saturday, May 07, 2011

Spring Flowers

Now the rain has cleared, the sun is out, and I finally have some spring flowers to show. For example, these tulips are new in the garden, springing up from bulbs freshly planted last fall.

Tulips

Pink Tulips
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And as if they weren't pretty enough on the outside, they are also pretty on the inside when you look down into them.

Inside the Pink Tulip

Inside the Pink Tulip
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This pair of Easter Bonnet daffodils are my old reliables. They come back every spring. I think they started out as a group of five or six, but these two are the ones that remain.

Easter Bonnet Daffodils

Easter Bonnet Daffodils
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This bunch of double daffodils, on the other hand, are new this year from bulbs just planted in the fall.

Double Daffodils

Double Daffodils
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The magnolia is finally blooming.

Magnolia Bloom

Magnolia
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The sempervivum planters survived the winter fairly well, and the self-seeding pasque flowers are blooming prettily.

Sempervivum Planter

Overwintered Planter
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Pasque Flowers

Fresh Pasque Flowers
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And the garden under the elm in the backyard (presided over by the open-handed Buddha) is starting to fill out.

Garden with Open-Handed Buddha

Spring Garden under the Elm
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I must just mention as I look at this photo that I am disappointed with the mulch we put down in the garden last year. The colour is light, almost like sawdust, and it has not decayed naturally over the winter as the darker mulch we usually buy has done in the past. I really am not satisfied with this look.

The closed-handed Buddha is surrounded by vinca (periwinkle) and blue hyacinths. His head needs washing.

Closed-Handed Buddha

Buddha
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Finally, I leave you with a photo of some red-twigged dogwood with variegated leaves emerging.

Red-Twigged Dogwood

Red-Twigged Dogwood with Variegated Leaves
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

If that doesn't make you think of spring, I don't know what will.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

GP @ ABloominBlog said...

Lovely photos. Enjoyed them very much.