The magnolia was a different story.

With the unseasonably warm weather over the past week or so, the magnolia bloomed more fully and quickly than usual. But its beautiful white flowers with a hint of pink are very susceptible to frost damage.

Some magnolia trees in our city escaped damage, particularly if they were well sheltered next to buildings. But our tree is in the middle of the lawn, and like all trees so placed, it suffered the ignominy of its flowers turning an orangey-brown that clashes badly with the lovely pink it usually sports.

At least we got to enjoy an unblemished magnolia for a few days.
On a different note, I've placed the Buddha head ornament in its usual location, where it will grace the garden for another year.

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
6 comments:
my heart hurts...
Oooh, I love Magnolias so much. I'm thinking about putting one in the backyard. What do you have at the base of it? It looks gorgeous with the carpet of green
What pretty daffodils. I think the Buddha looks just perfect there.
Alison, thanks for that.
Lisa, so do I. :)
Heather, the plant at the base of the magnolia is periwinkle. I must caution against using this plant in a small area, since it is an aggressive spreader and likes to strangle everything around it.
Sorry about the Magnolia! It's really pretty though. I have a Sweet Bay Magnolia that I love as it smells wonderful when the little white flowers are in bloom.
Your other spring flowers are gorgeous!
It's good to see flowers again from your garden. Too bad for the magnolia though. You're definitely still far ahead of my garden!
Post a Comment