Sunday, June 24, 2007

The First Daylily Post (But Not the Last)

Well, my 'Raspberry Swirl' daylily bloomed on June 22, even though it's still in the pot. It doesn't look like much just now (I've included a link to what it's supposed to look like), but I'm happy it has decided to bloom. I love its ruffled edges and white midribs. Well, I mean, I'm sure I will, when they decide to show themselves to advantage.

'Raspberry Swirl' First Bloom (June 22)

New Daylily

On June 23 I had the first 'Moonglow' blossom. Though I didn't take a photo of that one, they will bloom steadily into July now. They are not quite as long-blooming as 'Stella d'Oro', but I much prefer their lemony yellow to the orangey gold of Stella. Anyway, here is a recent example of a 'Moonglow' bloom.

Typical 'Moonglow' Daylily Bloom

'Moonglow' Daylily

Much earlier this month, I had an unexpected bloom from 'Siloam Plum Tree'.

Siloam Plum Tree (June 3)

First Daylily

Unfortunately, this one was quite blemished. It should really look like this:

Siloam Plum Tree (2006)

'Siloam Plum Tree'
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Siloam Plum Tree seems to me more like dark purple? Love the colour and beautiful flower.

Philosophical Karen said...

Yes, it is meant to be a dark purple daylily. The early bloom I got this year was more reddish, and unfortunately very blemished.

Sigrun said...

The dark one is wonderful! It is difficult to make a ´photo from dark red daylilies. In the moment we had so bad weather, that die blooms does not open her eyes and when, they are damaged!

Sigrun