Monday, June 04, 2007

Taking Time

In last year's post about poppies I lamented the lack of blooms for 'Turkenlouis', a fringed red poppy that I planted in 2004 and had never bloomed since. Well, this year, for the first time, it did bloom.

'Turkenlouis' Poppy

'Turkenlouis' Poppy

I feel that I should say a few words about my photographs. I mentioned on this blog back in October that I was taking a photography course. Here I am going to post some photos that I hope demonstrate some of what I've learned (using a dedicated macro lens, adjusting the aperture for maximum focus, knowing that I had to use the flash to balance dark and light, adjusting exposure to get a better image, etc.).

Poppy Macro

Poppy Macro

Even an ordinary looking photo like the next one is not effortless. If I posted the photo that the camera gave me using its own settings, it would not look the same as this one. For this photo I had to consciously decide to let more light in the camera (that is, overexpose the photo).

Two-Day Old Poppy

Poppy
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

I put a lot of work into my photos because it fills the same creative need in me that gardening does. That's why I love having a gardening blog. It allows me to exercise my creative passions, and share them with others.

I would just like to thank all the wonderful people who stop to read my blog and leave a comment. It really means a lot to me.

21 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow!
Karen,
You must be a very good photography student because those poppy photos are stunning!
.

Bev said...

Karen, your photographys are amazing... a wonderful treat for the eyes! Thanks so much for sharing them. (I'm crazy about Heucheras also, and plan to list them one day on my blog when they mature a little more. I got one the other day named 'Key Lime Pie' - delicious!)

Carol Michel said...

You've done a great job with the poppy photos, especially that last one. I really like how it turned out.

David (Snappy) said...

I love the first Poppy photo.It is gorgeous.You have a deft vision when it comes to flowers.I can but watch and learn from you.
I love leaving a comment for you too :)

Sigrun said...

I'm always fascinated of poppies, they are like balerinas!

Sigrun

Alison said...

Karen, your posts and photos often get me through my day so I need to thank you for posting them. I can always count on you for some sort of inspiration!

Anonymous said...

those shots are awesome!
there is something about the colour of poppies, makes you wonder how nature can do that.
bsts

Whyite said...

Karen, you take great photos and in writing your blog. I enjoy coming here to see all the pictures and new things you've done in your garden.

I recently started to take pictures with my digital camera instead of my camera phone. It takes much better photo's. How long have you been going to the photography class?

Unknown said...

Karen, that macro shot made my jaw drop. Wow! :) By the way, re: the Turkenlouis, I think that some plants hear us complain about them... and only then do they straighten up and do what we want. (Although admittedly, it works best when you actually threaten to remove them. Especially if you already have a replacement chosen. *grin*)

Ki said...

Your macro shot of the poppy is very sharp. Well done. The point and shoot camera I use takes fairly good closeups but not that good! The depth of field is awesome. On my photos the tops of the pollen bodies and pistil would be in focus but not the base of the pistil nor stems of the stamens. Not using a tripod may have something to do with that too. What kind of camera do you use?

Philosophical Karen said...

Zoey, thanks (I try).

Bev, be sure to keep that 'Key Lime Pie' in the shade!

Carol, thanks. I like the way it turned out too.

Snappy, you're very kind. Thank you.

Sigrun, I just read a woman who said she used to make dolls out of poppies when she was a little girl. The petals were the skirts.

Alison, thanks. I really need to post more often.

BSTS, nature seems to pick the most difficult colours to photograph, too!

Curtis, I've been taking a few different classes (anything I can find that's photography related) since October 2006. I've also bought some books. Now that I have seen how much better I can do, I have a hard time putting up with my older pictures.

Kim (BSG), I think you are right. Except with poppies I think they get together behind my back and decide which ones are going bloom and which ones are going to have a rest for a given year. Kinda works that way with irises too.

Ki, I have a Pentax K10D digital SLR. I was using a 50mm f/2.8 prime macro lens for the poppy macro. I set the aperture to f/32 and used the flash to balance the dark black with the red (otherwise the tonal range would be too great for the camera to handle). But the f/32 setting is why it's super sharp. In your case, the tripod would probably allow you to use smaller apertures for extra sharpness. Also, have you tried using fill flash when taking closeups of poppies? That can help too.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Wow beautiful! That closeup photo of the Poppy. First time on your blog, very nice- I´ll be back soon, very impressive work.

Ki said...

I don't seem to have the patience to use a tripod although I know it will help a lot. Unfortunately my camera a Canon A20 will go down to only about f8 which is about as small an aperture that point and shoots have. There's no hot shoe so I can't use an external flash and the tiny one on the camera is too powerful for macro even if it ramps down so I'm constrained to using available light. I might try using some kind of diffuser on the flash to see if that will help. so I'm stuck with the limitations of the camera, small DOF but I put up with it because it's small compared to a DSLR and portable. I use an even smaller Nikon S1 when I'm walking around with similar results. I may have to spring for a DSLR after seeing how sharp your photos are but it's expensive, relatively heavy and having to buy special lens is off putting. I'll just enjoy your photos until envy makes it unbearable.

~Niki~ said...

Just ran across your blog. Great job w/ all the pics!http://nikisventures.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your photos are just so beautiful. Thanks for sharing them!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Great pictures! You have an eye for great artistic photography. I love the deep purple of the Martha Washington geranium, it's stunning.

Kerri said...

Your photos are always spectacular Karen. I'm so glad you like to share them with us. Your poppies are just beautiful.
My poppies bloomed on June 5th.
I echo your sentiments on photos filling the same creative need that gardening does. And yes, photos are a lot of work...but enjoyable work..yes?
It's all very time-consuming.
I too find it hard to keep up at this time of year with all the work there is to do in the garden. I'm way behind because I'm working at school most days. The weeds are taking over and the edges need trimming. I need an undergardner!...but my hubby is busy with the vege garden and saw mill.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colors! I love close-ups to show the miracles of nature.

LostRoses said...

Chiming in a bit late here but I have to tell you what a wonderful photographer you are! And I love the ruffled poppy, what a beauty!

MariaJ said...

Oooooh!Absolutely beautiful pics!!! I wish I could have energy for photoragaph lessons (I really should have some) but gardening takes all my time now. Hmmm maybe in winter.

Ewa said...

I just discovered your blog and I like it a lot. Your garden is very nice and pictured by you in a lively way. I'll return :)