So the "containers" section of this post will be mainly a couple of photos that did turn out nicely. And the rest of the post will highlight some other things that are blooming in the garden now.
Dahlias and a Pink Happy Thought

Violets

Pink Petunia

A couple of people mentioned the lamb's ears in a previous post. I thought I'd show another view, and talk about how I decimated this clump. Back at the end of May, it looked like this:

The clump was taking over far more space than was available for it. So I removed about 60% of it, leaving this:

In the end it didn't look too bad, even from the front:

Now you can see that although there is a nice amount of bloom, there is a section at the back with only leaves.
Blooming Stachys from the Front

I don't like to show too much of this view, because by the time the end of June rolls around, the elm tree is in such bad shape with cosmetic damage caused by insects.
Oh, and as another follow-up, I wanted to confirm (for Sigrun) that yes, 'Splish-Splash' hardy geranium did not come up white this year, but purple with white detail.
EDIT: Actually, I had two of this plant. The one I gave to my mom for her garden this year is white!
'Splish-Splash' Hardy Geranium 2007

Also, 'Rozanne' has finally become the plant I remember, with a profusion of beautiful blooms that I hope will last into October as they did last year.
I find I prefer certain types of hardy geranium ('Rozanne', 'Johnson's Blue' and 'Ankums Pride') because the flowers spread out among the foliage. Other varieties seem to have one stem with blooms surrounded by foliage. I don't like that as much.
'Rozanne' Hardy Geranium

Oh, and finally, I wanted to show that 'Tequila Sunrise' coreopsis is now blooming.

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
5 comments:
Karen, I wouldn't apologize for the elm soon looking bad due to insect disease - I was just thinking that my garden looks so poorly in the heat of summer I won't have any pictures to post!
I also don't know what happened to my lamb's ears, I used to have a large stand of them. Hmm, wonder if the hose being laid on them for years had anything to do with it? [grin] Your photos look great!
You make me happy....
Amazing pictures. I love Tequila Sunrise. Sometimes I love plants just for their names.
wow, your garden looks awesome!
i'm having a hard time keeping on top of the watering with this heat, i'm finding my containers are struggling to survive.
bsts
You are so lucky if Lamb's ears grow that well in your garden! Mine can manage through cold winters, but plant wont get bigger. *sight*
You are welcome to visit in my blog!
Post a Comment