Friday, June 06, 2008

The Orange and the Pink

The poppies are finally starting to bloom, quite a bit later than last year. I find it hard to get good close-up photos this year, so the best photo I have is this long shot of the front garden porch display. The short, bright red poppies in the background are 'Carmen', new ones I just planted. The tall orange poppy is a well-established 'Allegro'. Other poppies are taking their time to bloom in this cold spring we've been having. (In the foreground is a potted 'Prince of Silver' heuchera, just starting to bloom.)

Poppies Blooming in the Front Garden

Shelf Rock

My garden has a few other fantastic orange flowers, these rock roses in the back yard under the Deborah maple. Usually this plant blooms at the same time as the 'Chocolate Chip' ajuga, whose purple spikes provide a great contrast to the rock rose's cluster of tiny red-orange flowers. The weirdness of this year's weather has thrown everything off, though. Plants that thrive in cool weather are blooming normally, but anything sun-loving is way behind. So the beautiful combination I have looked forward to in previous years didn't happen this year.


Rock Rose in the Back Yard

Blooming Rock Rose

In spite of those vermilion blossoms I have just shown you, I can't help noticing an increasing trend in my garden towards "preciousness". I can't explain what I mean by the term, except that I know Kim from A Study in Contrasts would probably hate it. At this time of year, as the tulips are nearly gone and the heuchera, heucherella, hardy geranium, and moss phlox is conspicuously blooming, much of the front part of the garden is full of pink and purple blooms.

This did not emerge on purpose. I did not "go for" this look. In fact, I sort of got a little queasy when I realized the full effect. Even the 'Patriot' hosta, which promised a hint of military vigour when I planted its fellows 'Red October' and 'Blue Cadet' nearby, has taken on a look of Victorian frou-frou with its cream-edged leaves. I may have to rethink this arrangement.


A Little Too Pretty, Perhaps?

Patriot Hosta and Friends

Although I must say that this look I'm decrying probably came about gradually because I like pink and purple flowers. In fact I am happy to say that the weigela in the back yard is absolutely covered in blooms at this time, something I look forward to every year.


Weigela Blossoms

Weigela

Although the weigela is healthy and full of blooms this year, I cannot say the same for my 'Johnson's Blue' hardy geranium. It's half the size it normally would be, there are no blooms, and what little foliage there is is dying off as if it were late August right now instead of early June. So I did what any self-respecting gardener would do and bought a healthy replacement. (I went to a lot of trouble to get this plant. The garden centre had decided to water its plants using an oscillating sprinkler. It took me several forays during opportune moments when the sprinkler was watering the opposite end of the shelves to finally extract the plant I wanted to buy.) This one bloomed while it was waiting to be transplanted.


New 'Johnson's Blue' Hardy Geranium

Johnson's Blue Hardy Geranium

And for anyone who likes to keep track of the progress of container plantings, here is a recent picture of my globe planter to finish off the post.


Globe Planter

Globe Container
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

9 comments:

Kerri said...

My first 2 poppies opened today..a salmon color..gorgeous! I love pink and purple so your garden looks good to me :) That pink Weigela is beautiful! Mine is a reddish pink and just beginning to bloom.
I love your Lewisia and will have to look for some.
With our recent hot weather and a bit of rain the gardens (and weeds) are going mad here!

Precious Leonna said...

I like your rock rose in the back yard. very beautiful, petite flowers, garden is became more beautiful if there is a lot of flower blooms

_________________
Home Garden coupons

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I like that you pick different flowers and plants as I try and do the same thing.
My poppies died off, so I need to get more as they are so gorgeous.

mitanoff said...

Hello: Lovely yard btw. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of your lawn as I scrolled through your blog. I saw your pictures of the "eco lawn" from last year and was wondering if it's still looking as good.

kim said...

Your space is beautiful. I'm jealous.

Philosophical Karen said...

Mitanoff, I haven't posted that picture yet because the news is NOT GOOD. Our Eco-lawn grass did not come through the winter very well.

Jane O' said...

I hardly call your garden frou-frou. But then I don't go much for trends of what's right in a garden. I plant what I like and it all seems to work out. Sometimes I think too much planning is overkill. Like trying to get pregnant. Just let it happen and have fun.

beckie said...

Karen, saw your comment on Jane Marie's about loving day lilies and just had to visit as they are a passion of mine as well. The poppies are loves and are all of your flowers. Isn't it funny the lengths we go to when we want a certain plant? Hope your spring warms up. We went from cold spring to HOT summer in a few short days. Still trying to get used to the AC.

Unknown said...

Funny, but I seem to like "preciousness" in your garden, and in other people's gardens. Just not in mine for some reason. :)

I wouldn't have thought to plant that rock rose with the ajuga, but I bet that's a stunning combination most years. And you're so right about the hosta and heuchera at the base of the harlequin honeysuckle. So lovely.