It's perilously close to July, and I'm afraid of how few of my daylilies are sending up scapes. I fear it will be a scant year this year. (I hope my fears are unjustified. Sometimes they are. I once thought my wiegela had died over the winter, before I realized how late it "wakes up" compared to the other bushes I have.)
I've had a tough time with irises this year. The ones that do well every year have done amazingly well, but none of the others have done anything at all. Here is 'Before the Storm', a lovely dark iris that was supposed to be surrounded by other irises at this time, but is a lone bloomer.
Iris 'Before the Storm'

This bed by the chain link fence gets a lot of sun, but unfortunately doesn't provide a great backdrop for the plants.
One plant that is blooming this year (even though it doesn't get many blooms) is the Climbing Hydrangea. I've been told by knowledgeable gardeners that this plant will take over my fence, but I have a secret. My secret is that I am a no-holds-barred pruner.
A lot of people are afraid of pruning, and I agree that overzealous pruning can ruin or even kill some plants. But I have never let that stop me. So that is why my Climbing Hydrangea, which always wants to branch out and become a "Creeping" Hydrangea, will NOT take over my fence. I won't let it.
Climbing Hydrangea Flower

Even without my usual enthusiasm, I have managed to put some new plants in the garden this year. The Asiatic Lilies I planted to give some company to the one my mom gifted me with will be blooming soon, as will this 'Burgundy' Blanket Flower (a little earlier than I had thought; I had hoped it would be around at the same time the Black-Eyed Susans bloom).
'Burgundy' Blanket Flower

And there are always the containers. I got a pre-planted perennial container on sale for half-price last weekend. Some of the plants in it were not very desirable, so I yanked a few out and replaced them with perennial pansies and two 'Blue Mouse Ears' hosta.
New Perennial Planter

Of course, the casual appearance and cool colours of this planter does not match with my own bright concoctions of hot summer colours, so it's a little off to the side of my other planters, which are heading into summer with a bang.
Hot Summer Colours in My Planters This Year

It's the first day of summer today, and what is a summer blog post without a picture of an insect on a flower? (Okay, well, that is a pretty weak introduction for this photo, but I had to say something.)
Wasp on 'Ankums Pride' Cranesbill

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
3 comments:
i love that last shot, it's crystal clear.
i've only added a few things to my garden this year, the weather has been very strange, it's either too cold or wet and i don't want to go out, or it's too hot and i don't like to plant. my garden is in desperate need of weeding, but now it's raining here (and i mean raining!!!) so instead of weeding i'm inside on the computer.
I love the color of that iris! It is stunning. Your planters a both pretty-just different. I have got to get some of the 'mouse ears' hostas-but first have to find a suitable place for them. The bright colors and textures of your summer planter are wonderful. So cheerful. Some years we are not as excited about our gardens and I do think it depends on the weather. I know when it gets hot early or is too dry early, I soon lose interest and just want to stay cool. Hopefuly next year will be better.
The Before the Storm iris sure caught my attention, Karen - those dark colors are so dramatic and beautiful.
I'm a pretty good pruner myself, but would probably let the hydrangea win that battle!
Annie at the Transplantable Rose
Post a Comment