
The Honey Locust by the front porch provides lovely filtered shade in the summer, but millions of tiny, tiny leaves to deal with come this time of year. They get tracked inside the house and basically, you find them everywhere if you're not careful.

I must admit that once daylily season is over, my enthusiasm for the garden wanes. I have tried adding later blooming flowers, but most of them don't grab my interest. One nice one is the Japanese Anemone. It's agressive though, and is already taking over the small space I allotted to it in the garden. Still, I guess it's worth it to have some blooms in September and October.

This 'Red October' is one of my favourite hostas, and its flowers come out (as its name suggests) in late September and early October. But the poor thing is always looking a bit chewed up by this time.

The thriving Bloodgood Japanese maple in the back yard died this year. I know that Japanese maples are iffy, but I felt like, since it was doing so well, it should continue doing so, you know? In the garden it's located along the back fence, to the right of this vine which is looking quite showy in its autumn colours.

This area actually looks better than what you see in this picture. These photos were taken with my cell phone camera, and so I have little control over the settings used. They are not quite the quality I am used to from my DSLR, but still, you get the idea.
I'll leave you with another look at those Japanese Anemones. They are quite pretty and delicate, really.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
9 comments:
I really enjoy the Japanese Anemones and just planted on in my yard. Looking forward to the blooms, yours are quite pretty.
The autumn colors are certainly beautiful. It's too bad the cold winter follows so close behind, dampening my appreciation of this change of seasons.
Japanese Anemone is a big favorite of mine. My pink clump has grown quickly, and this is one spreader I'm happy to see multiplying. The bees love it! My white clump needs to be moved into a spot with better light. The white flowers are exquisite.
Your garden is so well layed out and looks beautiful in every season.
Happy autumn, Karen!
Hi Karen,
New here and your first photo in your Autumn Garden" post made me chuckle. I am constantly getting teased by my kids when they catch me taking a photo of some obscure garden object, a tree stump,a lichen covered rock, a decaying stone wall. Your pile of locust leaves would fit right in. I have a saying that I like to look for the sublime in the mundane. I think maybe you do as well. Happy Gardening
Rees Cowden
The Japanese Anemones are beautiful that you probably would not mind if they dominate more than the alloted garden area for it.
I am glad you were able to spend a enjoyable day in the garden. The mosses are so pretty on the tree. I'm just so envious! It's absolutely beautiful and a sure sign that fairies inhabit your garden!
It looks like you have some really interesting garden edging. I blog about landscape edging at http://www.gardenlandscapeedging.com/blog.php I would love to share links if you are interested and would really appreciate some of your photos added to the gallery page at http://www.gardenlandscapeedging.com/edginggallery.php Feel free to link back to your page in the photo descriptions. I have added a link to your site at my blog, please let me know if you are interested in reciprocating
Your Japanese Anemone are lovely. Some added color in the garden when everything else is fading. I like your added interest with the ivy and moss as well.
Those Anemones look lovely.
I always tend to get "depressed" in the Autumn because I know winter is about to settle in. But seeing how you have recorded the beauty in your Autumn gardens, I think I'll quit thinking that way. Thanks for sharing
Lydia
http://www.in-your-garden.com
Post a Comment