No, it's not about that.
It's because all areas of Canada (except perhaps certain spots along the West Coast) are within northern climate zones. Because my zone 5b garden is in one of the warmer areas of the country, most of the suggestions shown in Canadian gardening magazines will work for me. (Of course, it would be a different story if I were trying to read about gardens that work in a true northern climate as Gardenista is. I have sensed disapproval on her blog towards gardening magazines because hardly any of them, Canadian magazines included, are useful if your climate is colder than zone 4.)
Cold hardiness is very important to Canadian gardeners, so describing the patch of land that I tend and nurture as a "zone 5b garden" is, to me, second nature. However, I have been asked by people in the UK to explain what a zone 5b garden is. Most areas of the UK are so favourable to growing flowers that you could probably become a fairly serious gardener without ever having to worry about such things. As shown on this map, even the coldest part of the UK, a small dot in Scotland, is two climate zones warmer than mine.
Anyway, where this all began was... for the first time I have actually bought a gardening magazine, Taunton's Fine Gardening, that originates in the U.S. rather than Canada. At approximately 10 cents a page (including the advertisements), the magazine was only slightly cheaper -- though definitely more cat-friendly -- than the orchid I briefly considered buying. I am grateful to notice, however, on page 78, in an article talking about woody plants suitable to the Rocky Mountain zone in Denver, Colorado, that all four recommendations have been in my garden. Three still are: Camperdown Elm, 'Hoopsii' Spruce, and Paperbark Maple. Unfortunately, my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick (which I call Corkscrew Hazel) were taken by disease.
So, in answer to my original question, "What's a northern gardener to do", well, dream and plan. Look at catalogs, books, and magazines.
Wait desperately for spring?
I leave you with the list of daylilies that I came up with for my garden from the Floral and Hardy catalog:
Chicago Jewel
Dragon's Eye
Japanese Brocade
Ivory Edges
Kallista
Metaphor
Real Purple Star
Royal Eventide
Siloam Dan Tau
Siloam Tommy Tucker
I also want 'Little Red Spring Song', even though it's an orangey-red colour. It's a very early one, and small, so I would love to have it in my garden. Oh, and check out 'Real Purple Star' -- it even gets the Martha seal of approval.
17 comments:
I just wish that the same numbering for garden zones was used across the world, or at least across North America. We have our Canadian garden zones, and then there are the USDA zones, and both are different. I chuckle when some gardeners in the USA say they are northern gardeners ... well what about the northern parts of Alberta and Manitoba. Oops, seems I'm off on a rant here ... maybe this would be a good topic for one of my blog posts.
I'm a zone 5 gardener in the us, and share your paint. Somehow, I'd never thought of getting canadian magazines. Thanks for the 'duh' moment, I'll definetly look into it.
I could not believe northern scotland was zone 7. I mean, I knew it was better, but dang, that much? Depressing.
wait desperately for spring?
lol, you bet i am!
I see that you managed to reduce your list of desire! I would love to have more but I'm out of room I'm afraid... this spring will bring much in the way of redesign I think...and I like you am just planning and dreaming...these months shall pass quickly that way I think!
I feel your pain.
I'm a U.S. zone 5/6 here in Buffalo (southern Canada to some) and when I see "magazine" gardens, I do wish they would publish where the gardens are located, at least zone info, if nothing else.
I've met the editor of Canadian Gardening magazine. She's been here for Garden Walk Buffalo the past two years. I told her I appreciate her magazine precisely because I can see stuff in there and know I can carry it off.
Wow... interesting to see that zone map of the UK. I knew that they were overall warmer than we are zone-wise, but I would have thought that at least somewhere you'd find a good zone 5/6. (Especially when they talk about the chilly winds of coastal Wales, etc. I'm not feeling much sympathy for that kidn of talk anymore! lol.)
I am totally with CraftyGardener there: what are those Americans that call themselves northern gardeners and AREN'T in Alaska? I subscribe to both of those magazines, but still realize that only those Canadians in the southern parts of the country really can grow the great variety of perennials seen in the magazine. I like reading the "Prairies" column, but still wish there were a magazine for "Crazy Northern Canucks who try to eke a garden out of a minimum of soil, just below the the latitude where trees no longer grow". Good thing I'm no magazine editor.
Hey there Karen, no offense taken whatsoever! I'm glad someone finally said it though - I don't think the garden magazines truly address the whole of Canadian gardening. Then again, I realize it is a bit ridiculous trying to garden in a harsh climate - my Vancouver relatives laugh at my strained gardening efforts and ask why I don't move. I once bought a container gardening mag from the local grocery store (published in Calif.) which extolled planting tender perennials in pots left out year-round. That's not really the magazine for northern Saskatchewan - unless you're taking your RV to Palm Springs...
At least you can find consolation in the Floral and Hardy catalog :) I love that 'Real Purple Star'. I was lookin for a purple lily last year. Can't wait to see the lilies bloom again! Guess I'll have to hunker down and read catalogs for a while though.
Hi Karen!
I can assure you that we now what you taking about, We live in Sweden Skandinavia, ther we have a climat like Canada.
But we dont give up, we try to plant almost what we want.
You can follow our gardenblog in Sweden so you can see for yourself.
We have also winter pictures like yours and we translate some of the text in english.
Welcome to have a look.
Best regards Ken & Carina
I just happened upon blotanical...it's a gardening network really of all sorts of garden blogs from everywhere. I just signed up and thought you might like to check it out! It might be somewhat similar to your knitting network, or I could be way off but either way, thought you might like to have a peek. www.blotanical.com
Hi, thanks for the tip, Alison. As a garden blogger, I am wary of web sites that get their content from other users. A lot of them are just "ad farms" created in order to enrich the people who set up the sites (no matter how nice a spin these people put on it when they invite you to participate). I'm not saying Blotanical is like that -- just that I am wary of joining ANY gardening network. I don't put ads on my own gardening blog. Why should someone else profit from my blog?
Here is a site you will like:
The Renegade Gardener
http://www.renegadegardener.com/
He's in Minnesota, zone 4 or colder. He's fun, snarky, and offers up some choice information.
I can't believe how much I miss my zone 5b "northern" garden - I moved from S/E Michigan to Phoenix, Arizona.
As you wish for a specialty magazine or source for the cold, I wish for one focused on the low desert. Sigh.
it s the first i have looking at your blog ,beatifull pictures i live in holland we have not had any snow this winter ,the snowdrops already in bloom ,i have a gardeners blog to ,wil you take a look at my blog ? bye bye greetings from holland Ina
http://www.renegadegardener.com/content/108damndaylilies.htm
Is something every gardener should read. You may not agree with him but its hard to argue against his points. I've taken it to heart.
rah: Of course people are entitled to their opinions. I am a cat person. No matter what a dedicated dog owner said to me, I would not become a dog person. Nor would I expect a dedicated dog person to love cats just because I do. It would be ridiculous to argue point for point, because it would not change either of our minds.
My take on daylily foliage can be found here:
http://kbgardenblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/daylily-foliage.html
By the way I totally agree with Renegade Gardener about Stella d'Oro daylilies.
Planning in gardening can really bring good help. Doing researches on the best things that could help you grow plants despite your area description could also help too. This means that there are many alternative resources or many alternative ways to make your plants grow amidst any types of climate a vegetable gardener has in his place.
Post a Comment