'Highland Lord' Double Flower

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
This daylily is registered as a double, so I was really expecting to see more double flowers from it than I got this year.
Other dashed expectations: My Hope did not bloom this year. Something knocked all the buds from All-American Plum. And my neighbours "trimmed" my vine from their side of the fence, killing the entire thing except for one small strand. In mid-July, it looked like this.
Sunflowers and (Former) Vine

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The great news is that the sunflowers (seen at bottom right) are all blooming now. I left the sprouts from winter birdseed to grow into a large clump surrounding the feeder. I am really happy with the effect, especially now that the goldfinches are always coming by, landing on the sunflowers and happily pecking out seeds from the centres. It really is a joy to behold.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
10 comments:
oooh my....your poor vine!
I have a cematis growing on one fence, and morning glories on another fence...and they are going through the fences. I hope my neighbours don't mind/ cut them down!
Just 2 flowers, but very interesting - maybe next year there will be more flowers:)
Yes, I got many flowers from my Highland Lord plant, but only the last two were doubles. It's still very striking as a single flower, though.
Sometimes neighbors suck. Blah.
That is a beautiful flower, the double.
i actually asked my neighbor if she would mind if i planted something at the fence we share, it's a chain link and would really be showing through, she didn't mind at all. it actually had more blooms on her side of the fence. and then i got my dog and she did her own trimming. hopefully your neighbor did the trimming by error, not realizing what was going to happen to your vine.
The sunflowers do look good at the bottom of the feeder.
So sorry your neighbor killed the vine. Do you think it was on purpose?
My theory about my backyard neighbours: I think they do hasty yardwork without thinking of the big picture. For instance, in drought years when the city has lawn watering restrictions, the neighbours ignore the bylaw and water whenever they feel their grass should be greener than it is (usually when they are about to have visitors). So I guess they just do whatever they feel they have to to get things the way they want them to be. It probably wouldn't occur to them to talk to me about the vine on the fence, because to them it's their fence. End of story.
Karen:
Your Highland Lord is so dashing!I can almost feel it's velvety flower!
Simply stunning photo! Love those sunflowers..perhaps I'll make some space ...luring the goldfinches..that's just perfect for me!
Keep in touch as I will post from Europe..let me know if you have a request of a photo.(I'm hoping to see the black forest in Germany!!)
hugs NG
Very nice yard. I especially like the birdhouse.
I enjoyed reading this
Post a Comment