Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Daylily Foliage

This post is inspired by Kim's Not in My Garden post. She says that she admires some blogs that show daylilies in the garden, but you won't find daylilies in hers because "daylily foliage leaves [her] cold."

First off, let me say that this is not a response in the sense of an argument or debate, where one-upmanship or formal objection is involved. Not at all. In fact, mainly I am writing this to express my surprise (think, incomprehension) at a point of view so different from my own, and yet equally valid. I guess it's sort of like dog people and cat people. Both can connect as pet owners, and yet there are fundamental differences.

I Am a Cat Person

My Cat

Not to stretch the metaphor to the breaking point, it's time I got on with what I really meant to say. Which was, how can one talk about daylily foliage as if it mattered? With daylilies, it's all about the flowers. I mean, I could say -- quite truthfully -- that tulip foliage leaves me cold. But why on earth would that stop me from growing them when the flowers are so beautiful?

A Few Tulips in the Back Garden

Late Spring Tulips

Masses of Tulips in the Front Garden

A Garden Full of Tulips

As I said, the point of view is so foreign to me that I had to wrap my brain around it and actually start looking at my garden as if daylily foliage did matter. And all of a sudden I saw things a bit differently.

For example, my earliest plantings (before I became completely obsessed) seem to recognize daylilies as whole plants, and my instincts led me to create mass plantings, or treat a daylily as a specimen among hosta and heuchera and other interesting plants. In particular, I placed daylilies en masse under trees or beside rocks (or both), so that the foliage "worked" to some degree as foliage.

"Specimen" Daylily Spilling Over 'Tequila Sunrise' Coreopsis

Garden View

Mass Planted Daylilies under the Camperdown Elm

Garden View with Camperdown Elm

Now that I'm completely obsessed, however, and any available space is space for new daylilies, I realize that aesthetically it's not working as well any more. I have plenty of planting space in my front garden, but not a lot of trees and rocks left to work with. It's all a big open bed. So much room for my daylily plants! But... what to do to make them work?

I Am Not Confident That This Is Working

Daylilies in the Front Garden
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

The daylilies are fine in the full sun of the south-facing front. It's terribly difficult, however, to find sun-tolerant hosta and heuchera to break up the clumps of grassy leaves that daylilies present to the world for all but their relatively brief bloom time. And anyway, there is not a lot of height variation available in that mix (the three H's of gardening: hosta, heuchera, and hemerocallis).

So next year, I plan to embark on a bit of redesign.

My challenge is to create an aesthetic environment where daylilies work -- foliage and all -- within the overall presentation, rather than simply taking up space. Since there are no rocks and trees available to add variety, any suggestions for zone 5 sun-tolerant plants or small shrubs of varying heights and interesting* foliage would be gratefully accepted.

* Define interesting? Well, it could be variegation, deep lobes or no lobes, dark or bright colour, glossy or soft texture -- anything that contrasts with the smooth, spiky green leaves of daylilies.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The three H's...I like that and it sure seems true! Of course, my downfall is one of the H's, too.

I love the stone work in your garden. Is there any reason you can't add rocks in your front yard? Maybe berm the bed up a bit, so it isn't so flat?

Maybe add some ornamental grasses or dwarf conifers for height? I really like Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine'. Maybe some of the new Echinaceas.

Annie in Austin said...

Daylily foliage never bothered me much, Karen, but I never had more than 50 of them in IL. I've always liked perovskia/Russian sage with them as a contrast. And it doesn't usually resent snipping back if a stray frond dares to block your view of a favorite hemeracallis in bloom.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Whyite said...

Karen your yard is so Beautiful. I like the daylillies you have shown us.

Unknown said...

Karen, this is a great post! To play on your last paragraph, I guess that I'm in the place where I view daylilies as simply taking up space instead of working. I am not, however, claiming that this is the downfall of the daylily--more the inability and/or unwillingness of the gardener to make an effort to find out how to work them into the garden.

Tulips I can definitely work in, but only because they bloom at the right time of the year to mask the spaces where late-emerging plants will soon arise. If they were summer bloomers I would probably treat them as I do daylilies. *grin*

(Isn't this the best part about sharing our gardens with other gardeners? We all have such different approaches and different plants that we fall in love with... it definitely prevents stale, same-ness, that's for sure!)

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Well, I am a cat person as well as a dog person and I LOVE daylilies, I wonder where I fit in the scheme of things :).

Kerri said...

That's a dear little kitty cat :)
This is a thought provoking post Karen. I was interested in seeing the few perennials interspersed between the daylilies at Hawthorn Hill where we shop for our lilies. A few I remember are purple Liatris and another with the same shape that was white and a bit taller (not sure what it was), a tall yellow oriental lily, a few shasta daisies, gooseneck loosestrife (I hope I have that name right), bluebells (a variety of campanula), a few white phlox and even some red Monada. I like my Cerise Queen Yarrow with the lilies and I've particularly enjoyed the deep purple Nicotiana this summer, with purple wave petunias threading through the lilies (they self-sowed from last year). I also have Monada in pastel shades which is pretty. Gloriosa Daisies (rudbeckia Hirta) are always bright and colorful and bloom for a very long time.

Gardenista said...

Karen,
When someone writes on another blog about daylilies, I think "What would Karen say?"...

I always think about contrast in foliage shape, so have been trying to contrast delicate against robust, grassy against broadleaf, vertical against horizontal, etc (thus avoiding iris/liatris/lilies next to daylilies). My suggestions: a purple-leafed Geranium pratense, Alchemilla mollis (Lady's mantle), Sedum "Autumn Joy" or "Brilliance", Eryngium (Sea holly), Penstemon digitalis "Husker Red", and Tiarella.

Anonymous said...

Karen,
Your web site is great! It is the best I have been on so far. It is strictly gardening talk, which I like, with amazing pictures.

I am new at gardening contrast, gardenista had good suggestions on how to coordindate heights, widths and color. I am going to try her advice.

Your blog rocks!

kate said...

Good post - we all are so different ...I'd suggest adding some dark-leaved Ligularia (not sure how you'd work in the flowers of those - perhaps removing if colours clashed with lilies). The leaves are gorgeous ... same with Cimicifuga ...different textures and colours.

EAL said...

I wish I had more space for daylilies; I greatly admire them. I don't think the foliage is bad--unlike tulip foliage, it does not need to yellow and die, which is horrible with tulips and the reason I grow hybrid tulips as annuals.

A nice fountain of daylily foliage is quite attractive--especially when surrounded by lower plants, as I used to have it before I put the water feature in.

David (Snappy) said...

Hi Karen.Its good sometimes to find views that are diemetrically opposed to ours.It makes you try to think differently.As someone mentioned If I blog about Hemerocallis I think of you always (Even at Harlow car in the Scented Garden there was a yellow scented day lilly blogged for you).
You can always try new plantings to contrast with the day lilly foliage with different colours, textures, or Shapes.
I love the Rocks in your garden.I love the 3 H's.Maybe my new garden will have Hostas and Heucheras but it will have day lilys!

Anonymous said...

me too.. we have a tiger cat called Maxi,
his picture is on my blog, pls. take a look.
My suggestion would be to add some wonderful tall fiberglass containers with annuals between the day lilly plants. Built out of durable fiberglass, the attractive decorative garden containers have the look and feel of worked stone. As the season changes you can change the plants as well. This allows you different views throughout the year. Before the winter arrives use branches of evergreens with pine cones add some other decorations, perhaps tiny lights, to fill your empty containers.
Hope your German visitor's liked your garden, I do..
cheers Gisela

david santos said...

I came to visit you to desire a good week to you.
Much attention with our children. It has many criminals who steal them and kill.
Until always

Anonymous said...

You have some really beautiful images, and this latest post is no different. Can i ask what type of camera / lens you are using?

Philosophical Karen said...

I am currently using a Pentax K10D with any of several interchangeable lenses (the list is embarrassingly long). However, I mostly use the Pentax 18-55mm digital kit lens.

The photos throughout this blog may have been taken with any of the following cameras:

Pentax K10D
Pentax *ist DL
Sony Cybershot DSC-S70
HP photosmart 635

lisa said...

I have some suggestions for bushes/foliage: Daphne, dwarf conifers, weeping pea tree, sedums, grasses, bog rosemary, etc. Oh, and maybe some coneflowers.

2cool4u said...

Love your pics, look like they're out of a mag.
I wrote two documents on gardening and woudl love to share with the world . .. one is on using permanent paths to utilize all good growing soil . .. and the other is a simple way to garden weed free. pandscorp.org . . . ideas . . . gardening

Anonymous said...

So cute....